351 Mustang

351w torino questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Kickinwing77
1st Gear Member

Default 351w torino questions

hay guys dont mean to hijack the forum for my torino but hay its a 351 and i do own a mustang besides u guys are the most knoweldgable guys i know. Look recently i changed the head gasket (in my parents garage im 17 lol) and well i had to replace the carburator since it was **** so i switched it out with a holley 600cfm 4bbl (have an edel rpm intake). i started it up and it idles correctly and seems responsive to the gas butttt every time i start it up (it hasnt left the drive way) theres a ton of white smoke from the gaskets i assume. Theres no leaks so im assuming it sealed corretly but how long and how much idling before the gasket brakes in? Its only idled for like mabye a total of 3 minutes but im kinda afraid to idle it to long if the white smoke turns out to be more than the gasket. the smoke when i turn the car off comes out from a vaccum port in the intake and the carb so im kinda nervous that i messed up somewhere, i changed the oil with the gasket switch but i dont want to push this on to long before im just burning something i shouldnt like a piston ring.
i also did a tune up with it, plugs cap rotor wires filter ect.
thanks guy i apreiate the help.
-rob
Old 09-26-2007, 11:19 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 351w torino questions

white smoke is coolant.
you did something wrong with the headgaskets, like install one of them upsidedown.
is it out of both tailpipes or just one?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Kickinwing77
1st Gear Member

i was very careful when installing the gaskets to put them on the correct side, since it was clearly labeled for a 'head side' and a block side. could this still just be a small excess of coolant still burning off or is it more likly a leak somewhere? its actully not comming out of the tail pipes. the exhuast is pure, not white or blue or any other spectrum. the smoek only comes out of the intake vaccum ports and the the majority from the carburators choke. thanks for the help so far
Old 09-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Kickinwing77
1st Gear Member

**UPDATE** hay guys got home and have been working on it for a while, well i fixed up some vacum lines and that helpeda little bit but after i let it idle for about 5 min alot less white smoke is commin out now. the car is obviously over carbed (600 cfm on a stock 351 with small *** heads) but after some tuning which holley didnt reconmend, i leaned up the gas, there is still alot of hesitation between idel and WOT but it got better. heat rose kinda fast once but i increased the idle speed and now the engine stays below normal so thats all good. at the moment only a little white smoke is comming off. any thoughts anyone? carb tuning advice? thx
-rob
Old 09-27-2007, 02:43 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

600 cfm is not nearly too much carb for a stock 351. The carb 302's came stock with 600-650 cfm.
Running rich do's not cause white smoke, it will be dark grey or black. The white smoke is water (coolant).
Old 09-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Kickinwing77
1st Gear Member

yup yup i knew it wasnt fuel my fear is coolant but i believe its the oil residue left on the exhaust manifolds yet. true 302's came with ruffly those sized carbs but stock mine was a 2bbl and now it has the edel intake and a holley 4bbl 600 and its still hesitating from to much gas. like i said im new to carbs and only following the instrutions tht are in the holley manual. i didnt move it but i tested it by puting it in neutreul and drive while on the brakes and the engine keept running strong so hopefully ill take it around the coldisack for a little bit see if its road ready or not.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:39 PM
Kickinwing77
1st Gear Member

**Update** well i had it idling for quite a while and tuned it so there was minimal hesitation when going to WOT, everything seemed fine and the white smoke was gone and ther engine was running perfect.....then i put it in reverse and pulled out of the drive way. i ****fted into drive and white smoke Poured out like none other. so i got it back into the driveway and poped the hood to see oil covering evverything on the drivers side. by the way it was splashed u could easyly get an idea of where it came from which was actully the valve cover gasket so i have obviously over or undertorqued these though i made sure to do them in the correct order. so im in luck the head gasket is holding strong and the engine is running fine but its simply the valve cover gasket.
Does anyone know what some symtoms would be if say a lifter wasnt tightened tight enough? i would assume disaster but i just want to rule this out obviously it couldnt be responsible for the leak but want to double check while i change the valve cover gasket.
Also would something like these ford racingt valve covers be a nice cheap dress up to go with if since im changing the covers anyways? FMS-M-6582-B303R
thanks guys for the help so far for ****s and gigles ill upload a pic of the engine sometime tomorrow to give u guys an idea of what im working with.