351 Mustang

manual steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 03:50 PM
alecracing

Default manual steering rack

Anyone know what vehicles had manual racks that will fit in a '95 mustang??

I'm sure there has to be a car in a junkyard or something that I can get a manual rack from.

How about just taking the lines and pump out and running the power steering rack without them?????
Old 02-18-2009, 09:30 PM
thunderjet429
2nd Gear Member

first running a power rack with no pump won't work... as far as a stock manual rack go's i know 79 mustang could have come with one but don't think it will fit a 94 up car.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:11 AM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Why won't a power rack with no power work. I ran my last Foxbody for 2 years like that and my current car is set up with a once power steering rack with no pump to power the rack. I'm not trying to be a butthole or anything about it at all. If there is something wrong with doing what I am doing and he is asking to do, please let me know what the dangers/hazards are in doing this. Thanks
Old 02-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
Why won't a power rack with no power work. I ran my last Foxbody for 2 years like that and my current car is set up with a once power steering rack with no pump to power the rack. I'm not trying to be a butthole or anything about it at all. If there is something wrong with doing what I am doing and he is asking to do, please let me know what the dangers/hazards are in doing this. Thanks
I know a good many guys who take the rack and make sure it's full of fluid and then loop the lines down at the rack and eliminate the PS Pump. It's a little tougher to steer than a full manual unit but it seem to work OK.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:36 PM
hillbilly pony
3rd Gear Member

Only thing with removing the pump and lines is caping them off so no moisture gets in...thats will make for some REALLY tough steering sooner or later
Old 02-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Loop the lines so the fluid circulates when the wheel is turned. Caping the line seem like it would make it tougher to steer from pressure as the rack pistons slide. I've looped a P/S sector but never a rack do I'm not 100%. I'm putting a manual rack on mine.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:45 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i want to manual rack mine but they are so damn expensive.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Less than 500 dollars for the whole kit. They claim it saves 30 lbs. I say BS. The rack, pump, bracket and shaft won't make much over 30 pounds if that. Unless that flaming River set up only weighs 5 or 6 pounds they are lying, haha!!! I'm still putting it on just to get rid of the pump. If I go on a diet I could shave 1/2 second off my times, lol
Old 02-20-2009, 04:08 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

yea, 500 dollars is a new k member+tube arms w/ perches. i think im just gonna tough it out and look the power steering lines. gonna be runnin skinnies up front so it shouldnt be too bad.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:11 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
i want to manual rack mine but they are so damn expensive.
I wish someone would buy this damn fox flaming river manual rack that I have sitting in my basement......

its taking up so much space!

Quick Reply: manual steering rack