351 Mustang

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 01:49 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

That sucks, too bad :\

As far as the trans, if I had the T-5, and everything to bolt it in, I'd just bolt it in. Who cares if you break it, right? Whatever you break, just replace it with something better. That's what I'm doing with my tranny. Came right out of a 2000 V6 mustang, put a converter in it, and bolted it up to my 408, I don't have high hopes for it holding up too long. But who cares? Why replace something that works? Right? Whatever you end up breaking, was your weak link. Replace that weak link with a stronger one when and if it breaks, and save some cash.

Or better yet, while you're driving it with the T-5 save up for a T-56 or a TKO... I'd go with the T-56, Strong, and you get that great 6th gear, so you're able to drive with say... 4.11's in your car and still cruise on the highway at probably 2400. I was going to do that to my car initially, up until I took it to the strip actually, was going to be a standard car. But after racing it down the track with the 5-speed... realized standards are terrible for bracket racing, since my car varied about half a second all day. With the auto should run much closer.

Since you say you're only putting street tires on it, should last you awhile, it all depends on how you drive it right? If you baby the car, it'll last you forever, but if you're on it all day, better have a bucket in your back-seat.

Last edited by Liquid_02; 07-11-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:20 AM
MaroonNotchback

yeahh i hear ya man. well i was gona do this c6 but wow is it a nightmare my long tube headers will NOT fit and i would need a custom cross member. it just seems like to much effort when i can just throw a t5 right in easily. When you said you through in a 2000 v6 trans how did you do that wont the bellhousing be differant? I have a manual trans out of a 99 GT but i was told i would need to make a adapter plate to make it fit.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:46 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

the c6 requires a different bell if i remember correctly. a cheaper alternative would be to try and find a used c4 locally and put it in to get you by for the summer
Old 07-13-2009, 01:53 AM
MaroonNotchback

even the c4 is really tight with my headers. The c6 has a one piece bell you would have to cut it off and have a custom one made.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaroonNotchback
yeahh i hear ya man. well i was gona do this c6 but wow is it a nightmare my long tube headers will NOT fit and i would need a custom cross member. it just seems like to much effort when i can just throw a t5 right in easily. When you said you through in a 2000 v6 trans how did you do that wont the bellhousing be differant? I have a manual trans out of a 99 GT but i was told i would need to make a adapter plate to make it fit.
Nope, bellhousing is the same between a 3.8 & 4.2 4R as any windsor engine, all I had to do was pound the dowels out of the tranny, since they have them in the tranny on a 4R70W instead of the block.