351 Mustang

problem....going on 2+ years.....HELP!!

Old 07-26-2009, 04:40 PM
spanky1213

Default problem....going on 2+ years.....HELP!!

ok. I'm new here so thanks for all the help in advance.

so here goes,

Best friend has a 1990 GT with a 1994 351 in it.
It starts fine usually, but when you drive it bogs down big time, falls on its face, and sometimes will be riding fine and come to a stoplight and just die. then it will be hard to start for a few minutes. then have a serious lack of power. We have been having this problem for several years now and have taken the car to a couple of performance shops here in town that specialize in mustangs and have had no luck at all.

Before any suggestions....please note that we have replaced pretty much the entire fuel system. Have also replaced pretty much the entire ignition system. We just put a brand new MAF sensor on and it still bogs down. We were just fiddling with it and decided to unplug the new MAF and the bogging has stopped but the car still runs like junk because the MAF is disconected.

So , any suggestion ?

thanks in advance...
Old 07-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Sounds like the MAF is indeed your problem. What MAF do you have on it/what injectors are you running. Hard to tell you what's really wrong when I don't know anything about your engine :\
Old 07-26-2009, 05:00 PM
spanky1213

it has an adjustable 70mm MAF. not sure of the brand but was told it is the best one I can get. think it's a CSR or something like that. Injectors are the red injectors.

the engine is a 351 with.....fully studed, e303 cam, gt40 heads, custom built intake, MSD cap rotor and wires, March pulley setup, custom chip, no air conditioning.

let me know if you need any more onfo. We know for sure that the motor is fine. The problem is elswhere.

thanks
Old 07-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by spanky1213
it has an adjustable 70mm MAF. not sure of the brand but was told it is the best one I can get. think it's a CSR or something like that. Injectors are the red injectors.

the engine is a 351 with.....fully studed, e303 cam, gt40 heads, custom built intake, MSD cap rotor and wires, March pulley setup, custom chip, no air conditioning.

let me know if you need any more onfo. We know for sure that the motor is fine. The problem is elswhere.

thanks
An adjustable MAF? What? You can't adjust a MAF (unless it's a Load IO setup or something like that, where you need a box and a laptop) :s You mean C&L by chance? C&L MAF's you change the sample tube inside to calibrate injector size. If that's the one you mean, they're alright, but definately not the best. If you truly want the best MAF, Pro-M is the way to go. If your MAF is indeed a C&L you had to re-use your factory sensor, pull it out, check if it's dirty, and clean it off with some Sensor Kleen or any equivalent MAF cleaner.

Assuming your Red injectors are 30lb, is your MAF calibrated for that?

Can you pull out your chip? Your car should still run great without a chip in it as long as everything is working properly and everything is calibrated accordingly. I don't even have a tune on my 408 build yet, running off the factory computer, and it runs and drives almost perfect.

Also, have you pulled any codes off it?
Old 07-26-2009, 05:40 PM
spanky1213

yes....the C&L MAF.....sorry. no codes yet. I will try to clean the sensor and see if that helps. if u can think of anything else let me know.....

thanks
Old 07-26-2009, 05:44 PM
spanky1213

btw.....my friend said hes has replace the whole sensor. the only thing reused was the housing.

any more ideas ?

thanks

Search this Thread