Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI's

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Adian

Default CAI's

I've been researching all over the place about CAI and the various amounts of HP each claim to give upon installation, but which gives the most HP, they all make claims but I have not been able to find anythign independant validating them?
The big ones I'm seeing is AirRaid, K&N and MAC, but I want to get the one that will be most beneficial to me and my car in boosting HP.
Thanks for the info in advance
Old 07-26-2006, 04:14 PM
mdlesk
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: CAI's

Go with the C&L and SCT XCal II combo
Old 07-26-2006, 04:16 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

If you just want something that doesnt need a tune, go with AFE, if you want something that gives a lot of power(along the lines of C&L), you will need to get a tuner
Old 07-26-2006, 04:17 PM
crawz
1st Gear Member

I've noticed that when the topic of CAI's come up, nobody ever mentions the Steeda/Xcal2 combo. I personally run the Steeda Kit and it seems great! The Xcal2 comes tuned with 4 octane settings, the 4th being racing fuel.

Seems like a good kit to me?
Old 07-26-2006, 04:19 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

i think because right now the highest gains are being given by the c&l, i like the steeda too though, and i think it looks very nice under the hood lol
Old 07-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Adian

I was wanting something I can purchase now to put on and then my next paycheck purchase a tuner, if that makes sense, it's hard to wait to do this stuff, kind of addicting to buy upgrades...So I would like one that would give me good results as a bolt on alone, but will give me even better results when I buy a tuner
Old 07-26-2006, 04:23 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

you are going to want an AFE
Old 07-26-2006, 04:37 PM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adian

I was wanting something I can purchase now to put on and then my next paycheck purchase a tuner, if that makes sense, it's hard to wait to do this stuff, kind of addicting to buy upgrades...So I would like one that would give me good results as a bolt on alone, but will give me even better results when I buy a tuner
I think you'd be surprised how good the stock airbox is. I would recommend you save up to buy the tuner first - get the RWHP gains and, if you're an auto tranny, the better shift points then get the CAI. No doubt the Tuner/CAI combo would really blow you away, but if you have to get one then the other, IMO start with the tuner.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:10 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adian

Reverse the process... buy the XCal 2 first, with 3 tunes

1. Stock at whatever Octane you want
2. C&L Intake at 87
3. C&L Intake at 93

When you get the money to add the C&L, just reflash to that tune.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Adian

I have a manual transmission BlueStang...Thanks for all your info
My body kit and exhaust are being put on next week, and the CAI/Tuner is my next investment

Quick Reply: CAI's