Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Mustang hopeful

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 02:38 PM
St0rmbringer

Default Mustang hopeful

I don't have my Mustang...yet. I have some questions. We're dumping a 98 Camry 4 cylinder. Bad rod bearing--will go in its own time.

In anticipation of needing another car soon, we've been renting various cars to see what we liked. I'm a Ford fan, so we rented among other things an '06 Mustang V6 Coupe. Loved it.
Observed highway mileage in the 30 mpg range! Observed head turns in the 100 turns per weekend range. This was a great car to drive. Here's my "problem." Family on both sides puts some stock in researching vehicles before buying and Consumer Reports says the 4.0L V6 has "a predicted reliability much lower than average."

PLEASE TELL ME that they're cracked!! My wife's 2nd question when looking at a car is "what kind of mileage does it get?" The V8 is out. (Incidentally, the V8 gets good marks from CR) I've seen in these forums that the 4.0L V6 seems to be the same motor that's been offered in the Rangers and Explorers for years. That motor seemed to take care of problems those vehicles had with the 3.0L V6 (cracked heads, etc) for which they were optioned. I'd like to see a LOT of responses here. The more responses I get, the more sure I'll be of a decision.

My other car options are:
Pontiac G6 V6--better mileage, few more rattles etc, less head-turning
Ford Fusion--new vehicle--FWD--looks nice but not a 'Stang
Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix--yeah, I know (remember my wife's second question)
Ford Escape--meh
Pontiac Grand Prix (would have to be the right deal)

Old 08-01-2006, 02:43 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang hopeful

MIne seems to be reliable just some paint seems to be fading for some reason. I dont get good mpg though but thats prolly because i step on it all the time
Old 08-01-2006, 02:47 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

I only have 27k on mine so I can't tell, everythings great though- I don't think the CR reports are based on how many engines built vs how many problems- just how many problems with a specifc car-many not even be 'real' engine issues.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:17 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

C&D actually stands for Cracked-out & Drunk. They have always been Ford haters and always will. My car is a daily driver with 17k miles on it and modded quite a bit. The only issue I've ever had with my car is squeaky brakes but I guess there is tsb for this as well. You're not gonna find a better looking car in the $20k range.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:22 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

i dont think he was talking bout car and driver :P
Old 08-01-2006, 03:23 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

I think CR's reliability rating was based on the older 3.8/3.9L V6's... instead, check out the reports on the 4.0L Explorers and Rangers.... that will give you a better idea.

My wife drives a Vibe... it's a neat little car... like a mini suv without off-road capabilities.

As for the Mustang... I can't think of a comparably priced car that will garner more attention. It has a brilliant mix of style and performance. It has been nothing but reliable... except for the Shaker stereo, which has some known problems.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:12 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

Fine CR= "Crack Rocks". They're even worse.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:27 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

i thought it scored low marks because of its resale value...
Old 08-01-2006, 06:47 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

The 05 mustang was a consumers report best buy... take a look at the latest consumers report on all cars, it had the mustang well rated in '06.

Hey, if all you want is the car with the best orange dots in CR, then get a Camry again. And you are reading the colored dots in consumers correctly, right? Red is good, black is bad.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:00 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

the 05 got bad reports and the 06 got good ones i dunno why CR is always bs to me

Quick Reply: Mustang hopeful