Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Help me pick a dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Black06Auto

Default RE: Help me pick a dual exhaust

Quick update: Based on the poll results I'm definatly gonna go with the flowmasters. I've been to a couple of muffler shops and I'm getting a WIIIDE range of prices on how much a custom H would cost to fab and install. Unfortunatly, no one sells the AT for a lower price than what I can get from the flowmaster website, so I'm gonna order them from either ebay or the site posted above by Pimpin Pony.

Would you guys say, on average, to make a custom H-pipe plus hangers and install it along with the mufflers ranges between $150-200? From the posts I've read on people that have gotten similar work done, that's usually the price. But I've gotten two quotes for like $600; and it's not a stainless steel pipe either, just regular aluminum. I called up one place, they gave me a quote of $200 but said they'd need to see the car just to be sure.

Two more questions, what is the difference between the American Thunders and the 40 seires flowmasters?? One place said he'd put 40 on instead of AT cause they're pretty much the same anyway (I looked at the spec diagrams on them and they don't look the same inside). He also said he'd like to make the pipe 2 and 1/4 inch rather than 2.5 for backflow reasons. Do you guys think that's a good idea?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:43 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

AT's are actually super 40's, which flow better than the standard 40. But I don't think its that big a deal since you will be duals. Also, I would stick with 2.5 if I were you, especially if you go with FI later. Besides, all the top NA numbers that have duals are with 2.5inch pipes.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Black06Auto

Okay I found a place that will make the pipe, hangers and install it for $150. I'm gonna order the AT's when I get home from work. Since I live in Ontario, Canada I was a little worried about customs charges if I ordered from the U.S. so I found a place in Canada that sells them, allllmost as cheap $300US I should have them by next friday (they're out of stock at the moment). So hopefully 2 weeks from now I'll have my dual exhaust flowmaster american thunders with a custom H-pipe. I'm going to cut my bumper to make room for the second exhaust, it seems pretty straight forward, I'm not really worried about messing that up. I'll be sure to post pictures of it when it's all done. Thanks very much for all your input!

Edit: Rygen; I've decided to go with your recommendation and stick with the 2.5 inch pipe. Thanks for your help.