Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

moving muffler more toward middle of car...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 08:00 PM
msulifter37
1st Gear Member

Default moving muffler more toward middle of car...

I remember someone on here posted pics of magnaflows that were installed near the middle of the car. i think that looks way better than having an ugly black (and starting to rust) flowmaster sticking out the back of my car. and without a gt bumper, i dont know how to hide it. so my question is this: would it be possible to go to a muffler place and have them remove my flowmaster, somehow install it near the middle of my car, and then run a straight pipe out the back? how much of the piping that under my car now do u think will have to be customized? would it change the sound of the muffler? (not ricey hopefully)! is it even possible with a single exhaust? help out if ya can! i know its outta left field kinda...
Old 08-02-2006, 09:15 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Default RE: moving muffler more toward middle of car...

either you saw a picture of mufflers for EVERYOTHER year mustand. so from 65 - 2004, where the mufflers were at the middle .. these years are now after the axle

or

you saw a pair of mangaflow maganpacks.. which a pretty much tubes and dont look like mufflers
Old 08-02-2006, 09:21 PM
fitbikeco
3rd Gear Member

im sure it is possibel and i have thought about how ugly it looks
there are two fixes to this i guess
1. get your muffler shop to totally redesign the exhaust system and you may still have clearance issues
granted it will look awsome
2.get a differnet rear bumper and try and cover them up
looks cool too
Old 08-02-2006, 11:53 PM
JoeBlack

It can be done I did it to mine. I used this one MagnaFlow Muffler 14416 4" Round

I took it to A-1 Muffler here local and he centered it where the weight was already on the factory exhaust cut out the piece weight and all and welded the new on in place then he did a short extension (to catch 2 of the factory hangers) and turn down where the factory muffler went.

I now have the 2005 MUSTANG STREET SCENE GEN 2 REAR BUMPER - ADD ON LIP installed and once painted he will put a Y piece in place of the current turn down so he can run the pipe out the center of the rear but still have the turn down coming strait off the muffler so there should be very little if any power loss.

I will try to get some pics in the next day or so.

D.

EDIT:

I also have the Eibach Pro-Kit installed, 18 X 9 Black Bullits on the front and 18 x 10 on the rear with Nitto P255/45ZR-18 front and 285/40ZR-18 rear and have had no clearance issues at all.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:04 PM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: msulifter37

I remember someone on here posted pics of magnaflows that were installed near the middle of the car. i think that looks way better than having an ugly black (and starting to rust) flowmaster sticking out the back of my car. and without a gt bumper, i dont know how to hide it. so my question is this: would it be possible to go to a muffler place and have them remove my flowmaster, somehow install it near the middle of my car, and then run a straight pipe out the back? how much of the piping that under my car now do u think will have to be customized? would it change the sound of the muffler? (not ricey hopefully)! is it even possible with a single exhaust? help out if ya can! i know its outta left field kinda...
Yeah, I think the post you're looking for was by youngmustanger a couple of days ago. Looks pretty sweet. Magnaflows mounted in front of the rear axle instead of axle back. Here's the link - about the middle of the post youngmustanger has pics. You might want to PM him for some info.

https://mustangforums.com/m_1739861/tm.htm

Hope this helps.