Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

[Deleted]

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 10:27 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Change Frequency

I lost track of time for my first oil change. I think I went in at 6K miles.. that or 9K miles, I forget. In either case, I hope I didn't hurt my car as it was breaking in. Since then, I've been changing it every 3-4K miles.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:37 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ilduce321

Be careful with the full synthetic oil. In the version of Ford's warranty for CT/NY/NJ/NH/GA, it says that full synthetic oil voids the warranty. I'd check up on that...could be a regional thing, I don't know. Better safe than sorry I suppose......
Can any 1 else verify this? From what i understand is that Full synthetics out perform regular oils. Why the hell would it void your warranty?
Old 08-13-2006, 12:15 AM
powerProdigy
2nd Gear Member

I'll just take a shot in the dark but they might be weary of some generic synthetics that might, and im just guessing so correct me if im wrong, that might cause the engine seals to deteriorate, either that or ford made a deal with "big oil" so we only buy the real comes from the ground oil. The way things look its probly the secong one.

I use ford motorcraft synthetic blend and purolator filter at 500 total miles, 1500 total miles and 3000 total miles, then ever 3000 once i get past 3000 total.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:35 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

I just read the ENTIRE warranty & maintenance books. No where did they state that synthetics were prohibited. The lubrecants must simply meet or exceed the minimum Ford requirements & synthetics EXCEED those requirements by a mile.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:55 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Synthetic oil wont void the warranty. The tech I spoke to at the local dealership said he only uses synthetic oil.. why would they void their own warranty?
Old 08-13-2006, 08:34 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SPARTAN VI

Synthetic oil wont void the warranty. The tech I spoke to at the local dealership said he only uses synthetic oil.. why would they void their own warranty?
I take my car to the dealership for oil changes... They put Full Synthetic in every time! LOL!

Old 08-13-2006, 09:07 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

full synthetic in motor, tranny and rear end should also free up a few HP
Old 08-13-2006, 01:13 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ilduce321

Be careful with the full synthetic oil. In the version of Ford's warranty for CT/NY/NJ/NH/GA, it says that full synthetic oil voids the warranty. I'd check up on that...could be a regional thing, I don't know. Better safe than sorry I suppose......
Well newb, why dont you post where it says that & this time use your glasses.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:37 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

This Naval officer doesn't require corrective lenses, and you have my appologies because I mis-spoke and should have been clearer. The tech at my Ford dealership told me that the use of synthetic oil can void your warranty if it is determined to be the cause of your issue, for the reason that the chemicals involved with formulating the synthetics can break down and cause damage to the seals, etc. I understand what he's talking about, being a chemist and in medical school I have a strong understanding of chemicals, so I took his advice. His advice to me was to stick with traditional oil. Again, you have my appologies.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:46 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

And I appologize once again, it wasn't synthetic oil, it was synthetic additives to the oil, ie Lucas

Quick Reply: [Deleted]