Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

TwinCharger System

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 02:43 AM
skiba5546
1st Gear Member

Default TwinCharger System

Hey guys! I've been wanting to crank up the performance on my '06 4.0 since the day I bought it, but I couldn't decide between a turbo set up, a roots-style blower, or a centrifugal supercharger.

Last month, my cousin was talking about turbocharging his Mini S, and I got to thinking. The X-Charger builds tourqe like crazy, and a turbo feeding it would build high end horsepower. In the end, I think it would make a really mean street machine.

I'd really like input from the FI guys on the forums, you guys are doing amazing things with our V6's, and any help would be appreciated.

Some things I'd really like to know before I jump into this project are:

What are differences in boost/HP/Tourqe with the X-Charger and the Hi-Po?

What's the max boost I could run with the turbo on pump gas? (And save my pistons!)

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Old 11-01-2006, 03:06 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: TwinCharger System

Dont have experience with either on the stang but rygen ran 10.5 psi and it was fine till his gas got contaminated. As for the xcharger it seems like a really fun street f/i. Sorry i couldnt really help im centrifugal o_O
Old 11-01-2006, 04:08 AM
skiba5546
1st Gear Member

10.5 sounds great, do you know what octane that was at?
Old 11-01-2006, 10:01 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

the x charger will be a more street friendly option if you don't plan on going to the track very often. if you want amazing track performance and great power from street light to street light you want turbo. if you want pretty good track performance, but rediculous torque and a street light monster get the x. The x will not make as much peak torque or hp, but it makes it faster, reaching max boost at something really low like 1700 rpm's i think. this means in first and second you will be a monster. although a turbo will be faster, the x will cost you alot less (if you do the install yourself like most) and if you don't plan on going to the track often or roll racing, it may actually feel faster in hi-po trim.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:26 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

xcharger less?

with all things being equal (installing it yourself) the xcharger costs more than then turbo
both non intercooled
$4300 (right? and possibley more with tuner) for the xcharger, and $4000 for the turbo

Now if you pay someone to install it, then the turbo will be a little more expensive (3-400 more).
Old 11-01-2006, 03:36 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Fazm... where can I get a turbo installed for $4400?? The quotes I have gotten approach $6000, including PowerHouse. That's why I've rulled the turbo out. Can you really get one for $4400.... or is that non-intercooled?
Old 11-01-2006, 03:50 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

i said it would be 400 more than an xcharger installed (bout 400 to install xcharger +4300 = 4700) and a turbo installed for non intercooled should be around 5100 (4k for the kit, and 1100 for install)
Old 11-01-2006, 07:16 PM
skiba5546
1st Gear Member

My plan is to get the X-Charger in the spring, and then add the turbo mid-summer. I just sold my bike so I'm about 60% of the way there.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:09 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

in my opinion, the dual power adder will not be a good idea.

for one, tuning, which with a small amount of money, can be overcome.

The s/c takes power to make power, so its going to negate a lot of the power gained by the turbo. not to mention even if the turbo is running 12psi, and the eaton is running 9psi, you will only see 9psi.

very redundant idea, will cost way too much money, and you will probably end up being alower than a car with just the turbo.

a lot of people dont understand that turbos can build boost very low. its all about turbo sizing. the pt61 that comes with the powerhouse kit will make 5psi by 2500rpm, if thats not sufficient enough for you, then ur kinda sol, because not even nitrous is recommended under that rpm, to even get you into boost.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:04 PM
skiba5546
1st Gear Member

I've done some research, and people have been adding turbos to supercharged cars for years. 3800 Performance has a turbo kit that works with the 3800 SC engine, and one company (I can't recall the name) makes one for the roots-blown Mini S. VW sells a Golf GT with this exact system on a 1.4 L engine (but only in Europe).

You bring up the point that it takes HP to drive the blower. If the blower leeches 30 HP off of the engine, then adding more power via turbo shouldn't make it hungrier for power, should it?

Also, the supercharger is just a compressor. If fed un-compressed air, it will push it to nine pounds, right? If fed compressed air, it should up the boost coming into the engine.

With this TwinCharger system, I just hope to have a beefy street car with excellent track potential. In fact, I could drop the boost down on the turbo until I get to the track if I wanted to...

Edit:

Dave from Explorer Express E-Mailed me back and said that my only concern should be the strength of the crank. I think I've read that the stock 4.0 bottom end can candle from 375-410 HP, does anyone know for sure?

Quick Reply: TwinCharger System