Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

4.0 OIL CONSUMPTION

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:32 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Default 4.0 OIL CONSUMPTION

I have a 2007 Mustang 4.0 pony package.
I only have around 3000 miles on the car and so far I've had to add 1 quart of oil. I had checked the level when I purchases the car, it was full.
I checked it again at around 2100 miles and it was a quart low!
Since then I've driven it another 900 miles.I've been watching the level and I am already down a quarter of a quart on the dipstick!
I called my friend at the dealer, told him about it and he said that Ford has set the acceptable oil consumption level to 1 quart per 1000 miles! ?????
I also confirmed this at Ford's website and various TSB and Ford enthusiast websites. It IS Ford policy.

I find this rediculous and just plain stupid if not completely dishonest on Ford's part!
With that sort of oil consumption it not only means the extra expense and trouble of adding oil often but it definately means that the catalytics are going to fail prematurely due to being poisoned by the excess oil useage as it is definately burning it.

Now just so you know I have pulled the spart plugs and found that even though they seem to be clean indicating a clean burn in each cylinder, I did find oil buildup around the threads of each spark plug. A very noticeable film of oil that's being pumped up into and around the spark plug threads!
It isn't leaking oil from anywhere. At least all the oil seals are good ;-). But so what if I have to spend time and money adding oil.

I mean this is a modern car for ch--st sake! My 96 Windstar 3.8 with 135K miles on it doesn't use oil like that! However, the cat's failed at 60K miles. Plugged right up. Since then replaced. I believe they were polluted by carbon buildup.

Anyway, is anyone else having this problem and what are you doing about it if so?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2007, 01:13 PM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 4.0 OIL CONSUMPTION

I have a '07 4.0 with 2100 miles on her. I have checked the oil after every fill up and it has not moved from full. It is possible your rings have not seated properly. Have you taken it on any long trips or just stop and go driving???

I have tried to mix it up a little with a 800 mile trip from Dallas to San Antonio and back plus town stop and go. I changed the oil at 1800 miles after the trip and itdid not used any.

Have you changed oil yet??? If so what oil is in it now???
Old 01-08-2007, 01:25 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

No long trips yet.
However, around town, I do drive it sometimes 100 miles one way and back. So that's a couple hundred each trip.
Did you take it easy on your car the first 1K miles or so or did you just drive it as if it was already broken in?
Ford says, at least the dealer guys say, you can just get in it and drive normally without any break in period, i.e. taking it easy. Let'er rip!
I havent' changed the oil yet. Soon though.
Am using the recomended 5W 30. What brand are you using by the way?
The rings should be seated in. I don't see why they wouldn't be by now.
We'll see after my first oil change if anything changes. I doubt it will though.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:49 PM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

I drove itnormal for the exception of turning off the O/D button on the auto shifter in town to keep the rpms up and not lug the engine. I probably drove it a little harder than I do now-just because I came from a extended cab pickup to the Mustang... A big difference.

I am thinking the oil maybe an issue. What brand/weight are you using?

Old 01-08-2007, 03:20 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

10k now... changed to full synthetic at 4k and change every 4k (Royal Purple). I check the oil every fill up and it's never low.(I did follow normal break in procedures for the first 1500 miles)
Old 01-08-2007, 03:48 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

What's Royal Purple? Who makes it and what weight are you using?
Ford recomends 5W 30. 5 weight is easier to pump through the engine to avoid or help avoid dry moving part syndrome during crank up.
Ford's oil isalso a synthetic blend.
That's what is in my engine as far as I know. Fresh from the factory and/or dealer where I purchased it.
I will be on the problem and if it keeps using oil like that, I will certainly make it go right to have the engine replaced for free!
My concern is that if I drive it hard, I mean nail it then decelerate causing very high vacuum periods which sucks oil up around the rings that the oil consumption will increase. That sucks as I am adding duals, CAI and a re-program of the MCU.
I hope the re-program and or CAI doesn't void the warranty. That would really suck!

Old 01-08-2007, 04:14 PM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

Why don't you change the oil and use the recommended FORD synthetic blend-buy it from the dealer and also the FORD oil filter. Change the oil yourself to ensure it is getting the correct oil installed.

I went to the dealer to purchase mine to ensure if there is a warranty problem I can produce all my receipts to show I am using their approved oil and filter. On a side note, the parts department was not sure which oil was used in my car-I had to get out the owners manual to show them which oil to sell me.

After changing the oil, drive it hard and check the level on every fill up. If it is still burning oil-goto the dealer.

Is the exhaust tip black and sooty? Or is it just a light brown/tan. If it is using that much oil, the exhaust will be black. Just something else to check...
Old 01-08-2007, 04:25 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Right.
Have to dissagree with you on the exhaust tube color. It is always black. That's carbon buildup due to normal incomplete combustion byproducts. Nothing anyone can do about it except re-engineer conventional engines all together to burn fuel 100% efficiently and that ain't gonna happen in our lifetime.
Just think of what your cats are gonna look like 30K miles down the road.
Anyway, I've got a handle on the problem and I will be having my dealer take care of marking the stick, changing the oil etc. and if it is still sucking up and wasting oil, I'll get the engine replaced for free.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:41 PM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

My exhaust tip is a light tan color-not black. The black is the oil being burned-I was just verifying it is going out the exhaust.

Good luck with the dealer.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2007, 09:28 PM
JimC

I have a 2006 4.0 Pony with 30,000 miles on it. I change the oil every 5,000 miles according to the recommendations from Ford andat every oil change it is still essentially "full", very little drop in 5,000 miles.

Quick Reply: 4.0 OIL CONSUMPTION