Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Flowmaster AT

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

Default Flowmaster AT

well I just bought a single flowmaster american thunder muffler, should be here in a couple days, then taking it over too meineki for the installation.

how do you guys like yours, and I noticed a popping noise in the ones I have heard, does anyone else have that problem?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:34 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Flowmaster AT

dont take it to meineke....its probably the easiest installation you'll ever do.. its 5 bolts for the old to come off and 3 to put the new one on....thats it. to pay meineke 50 bux to take 20 minutes to install it will be a waste of money....do it yourself...bond with your car.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:39 PM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

I have zero skill, believe me I will still mess that up. 50 bucks is well worth it if its done right.

thank you though.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:59 PM
kidrobotzero
1st Gear Member

you cant mess that up. its a simple switch that honestly anyone can do. save yourself the 50 bucks for gas cuz once you install it your going to want to drive around and hear what your car should of sounded like.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:59 PM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

Out of curiosity what did you pay for the AT?
I have a gift card I have to spend at Meinike so I went and talked to them and they said like ~150 for an AT, exhaust tip and install. I was kinda supprised, thought it would be more. I brought in a 25% coupon, but they said this could not be used on Performance mufflers, but they would work with me an take some % off...didn't know they had wiggle room at a muffler shop
Old 03-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Denny Carlton
2nd Gear Member

They do pop in the beginning untill you break them in, after that they'll start growling at you, nicely.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

i bought it at v6mustangstuff.com for $189 and it will cost $80 for installation.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:22 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Man seriously do it yourself. It will take you an hour even with no skills, I love the sound and like was mentioned earlier its so easy a cave man could do it.....lol
Old 03-27-2007, 02:53 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Dude, good choice. You're gonna love this thing.

I put it on in January, and it's been ice cold here, so the only time I drove around with my windows down to hear it was the first day it was on, like 3 months ago. Then today it was pretty nice out and my windows were clean (no sand or dirt to scratch things when I lowered them), so I rolled them down today and stomped on my Flowmaster a little bit, and holy sh-t is that thing loud when you push your car. I was smiling the whole way home just listening to that muffler roar.

As for the install, should be pretty easy to do yourself. A few of the bolts were kind of tough to get at, but with a little doing, it can be accomplished without much of any skill. Just remember to put the hangers on the Flowmaster in exactly the way they were on the stock muffler. I made the mistake of getting a few of the hangers flipped backwards or upside down or something, and it didn't fit right at all until I figured out what I had done and straightened it out.

So just take your time, keep in mind what you're doing, and you'll be fine with it. And again, good choice with the Flowmaster. The noise that thing makes fits our Mustangs perfectly. Enjoy!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:19 PM
steviewire

I recently installed the Flows axle backs on my GT. Quite easy to install but the nuts were very fiddly to remove because of the positioning on top of the original box. The second one was easier to install. After a few weeksthe sound I was expecting is starting to come through as the muffler isbroken in.

Got mine from Jegs $270, would recommend 2 day delivery to Florida but then I had to wait another two months to be shipped to the UK, worth it though

Quick Reply: Flowmaster AT