MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.0L V6 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l-v6-technical-discussions-66/)
-   -   niosy transmission (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l-v6-technical-discussions/272473-niosy-transmission.html)

tlpvt 04-10-2007 08:48 PM

niosy transmission

Hi guys/gals,
need some advise here: my newly bought '07 v6 manual transmission makes weird clinking noises, particularly when engaging the clutch on 1st and 2nd gears, feels almost like something is loose at the engine' end of the driveshaft. Another issue - when releasing the clutch in neutral, I heara low grinding noise (non-lubricatedbearing?). When the clutch is engaged (pedal down) the sound disappears.
I had the car for a little over one week nowand haven't noticed it at first. Took it backto the dealer who sold it, they test-drove it and said it is normal :-((.
Does anybody have similar problems here?
My paranoia is growing and I am starting to feel the buyer's remorse.
Thx

DelStang86 04-10-2007 09:07 PM

RE: niosy transmission

our mustangs have noisy transmissions.. my advice would be to insulate the shifter housing to quiet it down a bit. if your trans goes, it's covered by warranty, so don't worry about it

JochenHeiden 04-11-2007 03:10 AM

My transmission is very noisy as well, and it makes a grinding noise in 4th gear at low RPMs. 2007. 2500 miles.

acrokat 04-11-2007 12:04 PM

I dont know about the auto tranny's but the manual ones make alot of noise. From what I understand it is all related to the driveshaft. As alot of us know, the v6 driveshaft is crap, there are several threads documenting this. A few have even failed at high speed.

you can pick up a good aftermarket DS for about $600. I know of a good deal on the Powerhouse Driveshaft. PM me if you are interested.

JochenHeiden 04-11-2007 04:57 PM

Other than reliability, is there any performance gain from switching to an aftermarket DS?

05MustangSally 04-11-2007 05:03 PM

Everyone will tell you these are our transmissions...they are known for being noisy!

Some things that may solve it:

-New shifter (Hurst or Steeda).
-New driveshaft (Dennys)
-Turn up your music ;)

tedBalog 04-11-2007 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: JochenHeiden

Other than reliability, is there any performance gain from switching to an aftermarket DS?
Yes, stock driveshaft weighs something like 45 pounds... You could get a 3in light weight shaft that would be at least half the weight.

sixbanger06 04-11-2007 05:08 PM

My car does the same exact thing

billybix76 04-12-2007 05:32 PM

Mine also from day one. Ford does say it is normal. There is a fix, replace tranny fluid with Royal Purple synchromax. Cost about 30bux. It will cut noise way down with smoother shifts...

DelStang86 04-12-2007 07:15 PM

people report a 1-2mpg gain when they switch to an aluminum driveshaft... the less mass you have to spin, the easier it is for the engine to transfer power to the wheels.. you don't make more power, you just lose less.. it's like swapping in a lightweight flywheel.. less mass to put into motion