Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

blower options

Old 06-01-2007, 01:06 AM
blackv6
1st Gear Member

Default blower options

i am looking to get a blower. I come from a subaru wrx 400awhp 19psi on a t518zturbo'd 4wheel drive 4 cylinder and this car is horrible compared to the beast.

i want power. and lots of it fast. i am looking for a blower, preferrably not a centrifugal(procharger, vortech)but i hear they make more power then roots type(magnacharger,whipple) however they take up 9x the room! i know i got space to work with but the added weight and the hassle of running lines.aside fromthe plastic piece of crap intake manifold... how much boost can this crap hold before it cracks? if someone made an aluminum intake that had beter flow charastics, then i would consider the centrifugal a little more. i know it has alot less heat soak, but it seems weak.

i like the power/torque curve of the whipple, but it seems like the procharger gives more power but REALLY late in the rpm range. any words of advice. ( i dont mind having a bottle with the blower...)

Old 06-01-2007, 02:26 AM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: blower options

Ok. I don't have a blower or a turbo or any of that, but here goes...

Your choices of forced induction on the 4.0 Mustang are either going to be the X-Charger (a roots-type blower using an Eaton blower), the Vortech or Prochager (centrifugal-type blowers), or a turbo (the Powerhouse set-up is quite popular as Rygen and Fazm would be quick to point out).

You should ask Rygen and Fazm about the turbo set-up (be nice), Afixer and Torch Vert about the X-Charger (be real nice), and Scrming about the Vortech (be really super-nice). I can't remember who's running aProcharger right now, I know that Shelby is using them on the CS6 (you might want to take a look at one of those).

The blowers look to be 260 - 300 hp at the wheel, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:29 AM
ismellhonda
2nd Gear Member

ur gonna get the most power out of a turbo
Old 06-01-2007, 08:18 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

i think flapjack is using a procharger
Old 06-01-2007, 08:42 PM
blackv6
1st Gear Member

what is the power difference?

i also prefer turbo...
anyone know if it is a twin or single setup? i was thinking of doing my own setup using 2-t28's and run the intercooler like the greddy one on the 350z.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

Here is PowerHouse's website:

http://www.powerhouse411.com/

They use a single turbo setup with the PT61 and Tial 38 mm wastegate. This kit is capable of putting down impressive numbers both on the dyno and more importantly at the track.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:17 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

And Buck knows impressive numbers...that car is a beast!
Old 06-02-2007, 09:19 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I'm quite happy with my PH turbo....definitely gets the ET's I was hunting for.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:31 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

go turbo. You will absolutely not be happy with anything else if you came from a 400awhp sti. Are you auto or manual btw?
Old 06-03-2007, 08:00 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

OK ...not asking to get flamed.. but

You came from 400 hp and then went to 210 hp and the Mustang weights what 100 pounds more than your WRX? What exactly did you expect?
For those herethat haven't driven AWD turbo cars with some HP (Twin Turbo Stealth with well over 400 hpin our case w/ suspension upgrades but it isstill heavy compared to the WRX but very close to the MustangGT in weight) you'll be hard pressed to out handle awell set up AWD car with our Mustangs in the tight twisties! Those herethat know... know our S/C vert GT is set up to carve corners, withlots of power (est 540hp)and LOTs of suspension upgrades and if there is a chance the road isn't dry and clean I feel even with 100+ extra hp with the Mustang GT I would be hard pressed to run and hide from our Stealth on a twisty road! I will note that with the upgraded brakes on the GTit's NOT even close how much better the Mustang slows down over the Stealth!!In straight line acceleration between our two cars it would alsobe ALL Mustang from a roll, but being able to put all that power to the ground through AWD & AWS makes the AWD turbo cars very quick in the twisties, and way easier to drive hard I might add.
But back to the point... IF your WRX was set up well you'll be hard pressed to clearly beat it with a Mustang (v6 or GT)in the tight twisties.... Yes you can get themclose, but.....

Style... well that on the other hand is clearly why you chose a Mustang!

Welcome!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: blower options