Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

supercharger questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 10:54 AM
crusader903
1st Gear Member

Default supercharger questions!

Okay I'm a noob when it comes to under the hood mods so my 1st question: are there any superchargers that don't void warrenty? I saw one on the steeda website and it was lyk a bit over 3 grand..I don't know.. Any help would be great..
Old 07-03-2007, 12:29 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger questions!

The ford racing supercharger does not void the warranty, also the Roush supercharger but neither are inter-cooled, and the Roush charger is also good for 115HP without a pulley upgrade and costs the same as the KB. But I have been doing some research because I am considering a supercharger myself. This is off the Kenne Bell website.

Does the supercharger void my new vehicle warranty? No. It is against Federal Law for a Dealer to refuse a warranty claim because an aftermarket product has been installed on your vehicle. If a warranty is denied, contact the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov or the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov. Additional information is available at the SEMA (Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association) website www.sema.org. Kenne Bell is a member of SEMA.
Are Kenne Bell Supercharger Kits "50 State Legal?" Since 1991, all our kits have been "50 State Legal" with a California Air Resource Board Exemption Number. Some kits may be only "49 State Legal" and in the process of being California certified so, if in doubt, check with us. You can also check the internet at www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/DEVICES/devices.htm. Then type in "supercharger system."
Old 07-03-2007, 12:59 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

No aftermarket part technically voids your warranty. It only affects the warrantyof the system it's installed on. Example: a supercharger should not void your power window warranty. It will most likely void your transmission, rear, fuel system and ECU warranty along with a few others. There will always be dealer exceptions and I would get those details in writing. (if the service director leaves the newwill know the agreement)I doubt you willget a warranty engine or transmission repair with a supercharger installed regaurdless of what the MM Act says. Technically you should be able to, but it would be an uphill legal battle.
Ford Racing and Roush have a deal with Ford on warranty, the warranty covers installs done by Ford Racing/Roush dealers. If you check, the warranty repairs also have to be done at a FR or Roush dealer NOT the local dealer.(unless they areFR) If you have a local FR dealership stop in and talk to the service manager for the "real world" warranty details. Oh, neither Ford Racing or Roush offer a supercharger for the V6.

If you choose to supercharge you should be willing to accept the repair responsibility if something happens.

GP
Old 07-03-2007, 03:31 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sactown

The ford racing supercharger does not void the warranty, also the Roush supercharger but neither are inter-cooled, and the Roush charger is also good for 115HP without a pulley upgrade and costs the same as the KB. But I have been doing some research because I am considering a supercharger myself. This is off the Kenne Bell website.

Does the supercharger void my new vehicle warranty? No. It is against Federal Law for a Dealer to refuse a warranty claim because an aftermarket product has been installed on your vehicle. If a warranty is denied, contact the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov or the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov. Additional information is available at the SEMA (Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association) website www.sema.org. Kenne Bell is a member of SEMA.
Are Kenne Bell Supercharger Kits "50 State Legal?" Since 1991, all our kits have been "50 State Legal" with a California Air Resource Board Exemption Number. Some kits may be only "49 State Legal" and in the process of being California certified so, if in doubt, check with us. You can also check the internet at www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/DEVICES/devices.htm. Then type in "supercharger system."
None of those system however are available for the 4.0L V6
Old 07-03-2007, 04:26 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

technically, even your engine warranty shouldn't be void by a supercharger unless ford can scientifically prove that your modifications directly caused the damage. It's a great thought, but are you gonna waste time and money fighting ford in court? most people won't. The only real way to not have to worry about it is to find one of the few ford dealerships that warranty their own work. You will get screwed on the installation price, but i think an extra few hundred bucks is worth keeping the drivetrain warranty. talk to guys from the forums that are in your area and see if any of them have dealt with those dealers that warranty their work.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:08 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

technically, even your engine warranty shouldn't be void by a supercharger unless ford can scientifically prove that your modifications directly caused the damage. It's a great thought, but are you gonna waste time and money fighting ford in court? most people won't. The only real way to not have to worry about it is to find one of the few ford dealerships that warranty their own work. You will get screwed on the installation price, but i think an extra few hundred bucks is worth keeping the drivetrain warranty. talk to guys from the forums that are in your area and see if any of them have dealt with those dealers that warranty their work.
The only problem with that theory is ONLY that dealership will honor the warranty. If your on the road or in another state your stuck. A dealer cannot make warranty policy for Ford or other dealers.... Once again get everything in writing.
AllFord has to prove is the SC increases engine output (HP/Torque) and theengine and components were not designed for the increase.
You'd need massive expert backup to go against Ford on that one.

I think it comes down to one decision...
Speed costs money... how fast do you want to go.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:22 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

the only parts that dont void the warranty will be what FRPP sells. they dont make a supercharger for our cars, so to answer your question simply, no. people will say "no it is against the law blah blah blah blah" but if your engine pops, dont count on them replacing it.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:22 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

the only parts that dont void the warranty will be what FRPP sells. they dont make a supercharger for our cars, so to answer your question simply, no. people will say "no it is against the law blah blah blah blah" but if your engine pops, dont count on them replacing it.
read the fine print... FRPP are sold "AS IS"... No warranty! The exception being things like crate motors...
Old 07-04-2007, 06:06 PM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

There are a few things that FRPP sells that are covered by the warranty. But they are few and far between. I think the handling pack is covered under warranty
Old 07-04-2007, 06:50 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GrayPony

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

The only problem with that theory is ONLY that dealership will honor the warranty. If your on the road or in another state your stuck. A dealer cannot make warranty policy for Ford or other dealers.... Once again get everything in writing.
AllFord has to prove is the SC increases engine output (HP/Torque) and theengine and components were not designed for the increase.
You'd need massive expert backup to go against Ford on that one.

I think it comes down to one decision...
Speed costs money... how fast do you want to go.
yea, but it's far better than having absolutely no warranty other than a stack of $5k in a box in your room. And like i said, none of us are gonna actually take ford to court over the warranty laws because you will lose either the case, or TONS of money fighting to win.

Quick Reply: supercharger questions!