Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Trac-lock install

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:36 PM
mymuscle

Default Trac-lock install

Hey all

I'm new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone has installed a trac lock on a 2005+ mustang v6 without changing the gears. I understand the vast improvements of doing gears at the same time, but i just want to put in a posi so i can get both wheels to spin when i go to the track.
So if anyone has experience with this, help me out so I dont get caught off guard.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:35 PM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Trac-lock install

Its my next mod so i am looking into it. yes you can update the pumpkin with T-lok and no gear change, but thay have to remove ring gear/pinion gear to do the swap so It would be a shame not to do gears and bearing kit at the same time. You can get 3.73's for around $100 if you look hard.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

yea 3.73 is only way to go....if your gonna shell out the $200-$300 for the T-Loc you would be crazy for not goin ahead with gears.....Im gonna do the same myself but now im researching about my speedo....these cars have the zip with the 3.31 so I cant wait to feel the 3.73....so good luck with your project and lets us know how it goes!
Old 07-17-2007, 01:10 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

I did the T-LOK with the stock 3.31 gears.

I do a 190 mile daily commute to work.

I have had no trouble and my highway performance is unaffected.

Just ran aNew EdgeGT on the highway the other day from 60. Hehad to berunning straight pipes (rapped like hell) and he pulled ahead initially, but I reeled him in and walked by him in 4th...

I'm not sure what the 3.73 gearset would doto topend performance.

The lower gears are for short-run power, the 3.31 (and others like 3.08) are highway gears.

And I can still pull down a daily average of over 28 MPG including back roads and city.

SOHC
Old 07-17-2007, 01:56 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

My t-loc and 3.73s are going in very soon. Im just waiting for my carrier bearings to be delivered to my house, then im goin out and gettin royal purple for the diff and trans to smooth things out. I will be posting up my before and after impressions.

Oh and while its on the lift im havin GT sways put on to help out the terrible lean I get when navigating circles and off ramps...kinda feels like im gunna come out of my seat sometimes....
Old 07-17-2007, 05:34 PM
mymuscle

I think i am gonna put in the lock next weekend. I would update the gears but to do that i would have to reflash the computer and that would be an extra 300+ bucks. Plus im still in college so 100 bucks is still 100 bucks. And i travel alot so i need to keep the highway mpg high. I will let you all know the gains i get at the track when i can.