Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

american thunder vs slp

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 04:30 PM
pangtong8

Default american thunder vs slp

i have a 2006 v6 and im looking for a new exhaust im buying a jba h pipe and for the exhaust i was wondering if the slp loudmouths are louder that the flowmaster american thunder because of the roundish design of the muffler as apposed to the more square of the american thunder.. thanks
Old 10-23-2007, 04:50 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Default RE: american thunder vs slp

dunno..i have the at and it is plenty loud, i wouldnt want anything louder being that the car is a convertible
Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

Loudmouths are basically a muffler delete. So they are probably louder.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

I had the flow AT's and then switched to the SLP's.

The AT's were too.....ricey at mid-high RPM's, so I tossed them, and bought the SLP's. The SLP's are MUCH louder than the AT's and it has a real nice rumble at idle, and at WOT it screams!! right now I'm running on a ninosport Y pipe, which doesnt do anything for tone, but I have a JBA H pipe, and JBA Shorty Headers on the way, so it should sound 100x better than now.

I'd go (which I did) with the SLP's over the AT's
Old 11-02-2007, 10:36 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

Let me know how the headers are with the SLPs...

That was a direction I was leaning twords.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

I'd drop the X pipe + street pro's. That doesnt sound like the best combination, X pipes sound like crap on our cars, and the street pros dont sound too good either.

I've been researching for 3 months to make the best sounding v6, I finally figured out that JBA Shorty's (L/T's sound bad on the v6) + High flow cats (really nice60's muscle sound) + JBA H Pipe (again muscle sound, and not an o/r H becuase those sound like crap w/o cats) + SLP's (extremely loud) + jumping idle RPM to 900 instead of factory 700 just to geta louder idle sound.

this is running around $1600 for everything. I think that combo will sound fantastic, and with the higher idle no other v6 will sound the same, even with the same set up.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:50 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

Hmm I'm interested in seeing how that works for you. I like the sound of the street pro's once they break in. I hated them for like the first 2 months when I just had single exhuast, I figure another month on the new pair and I should be ok.

But you know that weird kind of pain you get if you up front at a loud concert?

That's what happens whenyou get behind my car and I rev the engine
Old 11-08-2007, 09:52 PM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

Hmm what? Toss out teh X and the street pro's? I had the X pipe with street pro's. They sounded great! But I hated the drone, went mufflerless (pretty much SLP's), with the X pipe, and it sounds great. Loud at idle, screams at WOT, just enough at part throttle. I wouldn't trade it in for anything else.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:54 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dennis074.0

I'd drop the X pipe + street pro's. That doesnt sound like the best combination, X pipes sound like crap on our cars, and the street pros dont sound too good either.

I've been researching for 3 months to make the best sounding v6, I finally figured out that JBA Shorty's (L/T's sound bad on the v6) + High flow cats (really nice60's muscle sound) + JBA H Pipe (again muscle sound, and not an o/r H becuase those sound like crap w/o cats) + SLP's (extremely loud) + jumping idle RPM to 900 instead of factory 700 just to geta louder idle sound.

this is running around $1600 for everything. I think that combo will sound fantastic, and with the higher idle no other v6 will sound the same, even with the same set up.
I disagree completely with your assessment on the Pypes Street Pros.

SLPs sound very ricey and high-pitched.

The Street Pros have a very deep tone to them. Only the Magnaflows sound similar.

http://media.putfile.com/V6-with-Pypes-Duals-Echoing-Through-Nice-Tunnel

http://media.putfile.com/2006-Mustang-V6-Pypes-Duals-Getting-on-Highway

http://media.putfile.com/SOHCman-Pypes-Acceleration

SOHC
Old 11-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

"SLPs sound very ricey and high-pitched"

I completely disagree with that, mine sound great until 1900 RPM and then gets alot better at 2000 RPM. You must have just heard the SLP's on the internet and not in person because their is a huge difference.

Quick Reply: american thunder vs slp