Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Duals Decision...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 12:08 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Default Duals Decision...

I know the topic of dual exhaust has been absolutely beaten to death in this forum, and I flipped through a few of the old topics, but I couldn't really find the answers I was looking for and the search function is basically screwed, so here's another one.

I'm gonna put duals on my 6-banger some time in the new year, and I've been looking at a few different options. I was wondering if any of you have advice/experience/opinions or anything else with any of these set-ups.

I'll just start by telling you that I've got a single Flowmaster AT on my Mustang right now, and as far as sound goes I'm totally happy with it. It's got's a nice rough loud sound to it which I'm kind of a fan of so that's fine. The don't have/want a tune right now, so my duals are gonna have the cats on them, and all of the following setups are in the same price neighborhood so that isn't really a factor. So, here are the options I'm looking at:

JBA Stainless Steel Dual Exhaust with H-Pipe:

There's also a slightly cheaper Y-pipe version of the JBA duals, but I've heard Y-pipes kind of suck, and since the exhaust would be travelling slightly different distances, I'm kind of worried about how it would look if I stomped on the gas when it was cold out and one muffler started pushing out exhaust before the other did (probably a stupid thing to worry about, I know.)

-or-

Ford Racing Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe:

It basically breaks down to a two-part question: JBA mufflers or Ford Racing mufflers?

And, X-pipe or H-pipe?

I don't want to run true duals (straight pipes) because I've heard they cost some torque for their services, but I'm not really sure about X vs. H. I know H is supposed to be deeper, but how are the X-pipes? A bit louder I'm told? Do either of those pipes with a crossover have a torque or hp cost associated with them?

Like I said I'm pretty happy even with the single Flowmaster right now in terms of sound and volume, this is mainly just a cosmetic upgrade to bring some balance to the back of my Mustang.

So please, if you've got anything to say, I'd love to hear it.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:23 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Duals Decision...

JBAs with an H gets my vote

Old 11-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

FRPP with the X gets my vote. I may be biased because I purchased this setup but I think the craftsmanship and quality are top shelf. Plus you gotta love the idea of buying one kit with all the brackets, OE clamps(cant beat em) and hangers.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:10 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I agree with Wickerbill....the Ford X-pipe has my vote too. You get a warranty with the Ford product and everything you need to install.
I read somewhere that Ford was using Borla products for their exhaust systems. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 11-24-2007, 10:34 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wickerbill

FRPP with the X gets my vote. I may be biased because I purchased this setup but I think the craftsmanship and quality are top shelf. Plus you gotta love the idea of buying one kit with all the brackets, OE clamps(cant beat em) and hangers.
The JBA kit came with everything required (brackets/clamps)
Old 11-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

JBA H-Pipe has my vote......uhhh, mainly because i have that setup . but i'm sure you can't lose with either setup. i really dig my jba's and i get none of the bad characteristics of some of the other muffs out there like drone, ricey sound, etc. very aggressive tone that's not too loud and definately not too soft.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:47 PM
jrhykushi
4th Gear Member

would the ford racing exhaust set be obnoxiously loud?
i would prefer something that is around the same volume as a stock gt

thanks in advance.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:11 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

I know the jbas are known to be a bit more quiet dunno about the ford racing. I vote xpipe with magnaflow mufflers
Old 11-24-2007, 05:30 PM
jrhykushi
4th Gear Member

anyone know anything bout these ford racing mufflers?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:31 PM
SeanoStang
4th Gear Member

i vote for my magnaflows with straightbacks

Quick Reply: Duals Decision...