Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

pypes x-pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 12:15 AM
chrispcola

Default pypes x-pipe question

I was l ooking over 68XR7's post on installing a Ford Racing GT x-pipe to his V6. I know cutting is required and saw that he welded it to the downpipe. Anyone know anything about Pype's xfm44 x-pipe made for the V6s. I realize welding is really best, but is welding required for that particular pipe? I want to be able to do most of the work and if I have to, temporarily clamp it to take it to a shop to weld in place....If I can go without welding, it would be ideal...
Old 04-02-2008, 07:38 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: pypes x-pipe question

The problem I have found with Pype's is their clamps aren't made very well. If you can purchase another OEM Ford clamp, then you won't have to weld them. Now I did get my shop to do a tack weldfor piece of mind. I haven't had any problems since.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:16 AM
chrispcola

Cool, thanks for the info. So it did slide over/into the downpipe without any issues (no gaps)? I'd definitely get them welded eventually. I just want to be able to do most of the work myself. I know I could pay a shop to do it, but I would just get more satisfaction of out of it...
Old 04-02-2008, 10:46 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

I understand that you want to do as much of the work as you can, and there are people around here that prefer to have their system clamped rather than welded, usually for ease of dissasembly. I much prefer the welded system. I mean, when you read some of the trouble that people have when they start changing these exhaust systems, it gets a little scary. I have never had any kind of trouble with mine. No clunks, rattles, drones, no nuthin'. I believe that the reason for this is: A. I used Only parts that were made BY FORD for the Mustang. B. I had a qualified shop do the install. The technician checked EVERYTHING very carefully before the final welding. Also remember, if you do have to remove the exhaust system for whatever reason, you can cut it carefully and then use your clamps when you re-assemble.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:23 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrispcola

Cool, thanks for the info. So it did slide over/into the downpipe without any issues (no gaps)? I'd definitely get them welded eventually. I just want to be able to do most of the work myself. I know I could pay a shop to do it, but I would just get more satisfaction of out of it...
From what the guys said at the shop, the x-pipe and mid pipe fit like a glove. The only issue was getting the muffler on the driver's side to hang right.
I do think mine hang a little low, but I have gotten use to it and why mess with something that's not giving me any problems.....like rattles and such.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:24 PM
chrispcola

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

The problem I have found with Pype's is their clamps aren't made very well. If you can purchase another OEM Ford clamp, then you won't have to weld them.
Curious, I've been reading other peopel comment on the pypes clamps as well. Are they band clamps or u-clamps?
Old 04-06-2008, 01:01 PM
kdrshocker
2nd Gear Member

i have the pypes true dual setup. i installed it myself a while back.. everything fit alright exceptfor the drivers side muffler. it was hanging down and crooked. i ended up taking it to a shop backhome and the took all the clamps off and welded everything up. they had to cut one of the hangers on the drivers side muffler and reposition it about an inch lower just to get it in the right spot.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:45 PM
shb5007
3rd Gear Member

I am about to get a pypes x, welded in.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:55 PM
NuclearMuscle523
SCAM ALERT! This person is known around the internet for ripping people off. You've been warned.

the kit comes with band clamps, junk. i saws-alled the h-pipe from the cats, had to get adapter fitings from the stock pipe to the x-pipe, slide it into the transmission mount hanger locations, and used FOUR band clamps to get it right... the rest of the system is welded in safely