Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Upgraded to GT front brakes on my V6 today (56 K beware)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:52 PM
JimC

Default Upgraded to GT front brakes on my V6 today (56 K beware)

Took me most of the afternoon - had to fight the lug nuts first, then had to make two runs to the parts store. Of course no one at home has any idea where all my metric sockets are, and I really did need a new torque wrench. I bought the set off another member here, and he had already painted them red before his swap - I plan to paint them white in the next week, keeping with my car's "theme".

The swap is very easy - 4 bolts per side, the GT and V6 calipers are the same so the only parts that have to be swapped are the rotors and the mounting brackets. Luckily a friend told me about simply using a C clamp to compress the front brake pistons so I could put it all back together. Took the car for a drive and everything works fine (which was my wife's worry - I haven't wrenched on my own car in a long time)

GT rotor and V6 rotor:

It's a little hard to see the bolts involved here

(hopefully the excess anti-squeal compound dissipates)

Before upgrade

After upgrade, notice the difference in the rotor

And the next phase
Old 04-06-2008, 07:18 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Upgraded to GT front brakes on my V6 today (56 K beware)

ooo i like...

did you buy the gt takeoffs as a set or order them piece by piece?

I know all I need to do mine are the mounting brackets... and bigger wheels of course as the 16" won't work.

good job
Old 04-06-2008, 07:34 PM
JimC

Thanks!

I bought everything as a set from a member at Black Mustang Club, he upgraded to GT500 brakes and had everything sitting in his garage.

Very easy to do - I only swapped the brackets so I didn't have to do anything to the brake lines. All that you need to get to do the job is a set of GT brackets and GT sized rotors. The calipers are the same - put a C clamp on the piston to get it back to clear with the new pads and reinstalled everything - only took a few minutes on the second side.

So I now have in my garage an old set of V6 rotors, V6 brackets, and a set of calipers painted red. And the dust shields, they are the same for the V6 and GT so I didn't do anything to those either.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:25 PM
dwagner825

Looks good. What are the seat of the pants results?
Old 04-12-2008, 02:27 PM
JimC

I can feel an increase in the stopping power - part of that could simply be new pads of course. But it seems to grab harder and pull the speed down quicker. Weather is too bad here to get back to the track and see how it is at the end of the 1/4 with the bigger rotors.

I don't know if it is because I know that there are bigger rotors up front so more rotating mass, but the first couple of days the front felt 'heavier'. Not a handling problem or decreased performance, it just felt like once up to speed that there was more weight. My wife took the car the other day and said that she didn't notice any difference, but she doesn't drive it very often.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:43 PM
shb5007
3rd Gear Member

Looks good!
Old 04-16-2008, 01:11 AM
king07
1st Gear Member

I want some!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i want jim's driveshaft![8D]
Old 04-16-2008, 03:47 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

did you put your front ones on the back (6er front rotors are GT rears)

were these new or used parts
Old 04-16-2008, 07:24 PM
JimC

This may be a double post, for some reason my network went down right as I hit the "OK" button, sorry if it ends up that way.

The rear brakes and rotors are the same for the V6 and GT Mustangs, no difference in the parts or size. So no, I didn't swap anything to the rear. I had the rear brakes done a month or so ago when they wore through the pads on the driver side.

I bought the set up from a member at Black Mustang Club who upgraded his brakes to GT500 style and they had about 5,000 miles on them (a lot more pad than my old brakes which needed to be replaced in the next month). He had already painted them red so the bracket is red for now. The only differences in the front brakes are the size of the rotor and of course the bigger bracket to clear the bigger rotor so I re-used my stock caliper (no bleeding of the system needed that way).

If the weather cooperates this weekend I will be repainting all 4 calipers. I bought white G2 paint to stay with the black and white look of the car. Almost everyone does red it seems, and nothing on my car is red. I thought about black, but after photoshopping it they just disappeared and made the black bullitts look "chunky" so went with the white. I had a friend photoshop the red and black first and then someone suggested the white.

All that you really need to get to complete the swap is a set of GT rotors and the brackets for the GT front brakes which you can order at the Ford dealer (if the parts guy knows anything I discovered - he insisted they were exactly the same, but I had already seen the parts and they are even stamped with GT and V6 and there is a big difference in the brackets and the rotors).

Quick Reply: Upgraded to GT front brakes on my V6 today (56 K beware)