Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Looking For A Good Cold Air Kit

Old 06-05-2008, 08:41 AM
SumterBoy
2nd Gear Member

Default Looking For A Good Cold Air Kit

More than likely this will be my next mod, I'm not trying to spend nomore than $600 and thats including the x-Cal,i want to get something to give mea good bit of increase in my hp a torque.

These seem ok but i know these arent the best, anybody got ideas.

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...&parent=93

http://www.americanmuscle.com/2005v6...ator2-kit.html
Old 06-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Looking For A Good Cold Air Kit

The first one you linked isn't exactly a whole CAI, it just replaces the airbox with a cone filter and uses the stock "tube." There also is not a heatshield with it.

If you look at the product separately on their site you will see it looks like this:

They claim the tube is adequate, and may not be a problem for you but I see a lot of people thinking these are full CAIs.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

vmp's cai/tuner/gt muff package is a pretty good deal. bama's C&L/tuner combo is another awesome package. brenspeed should have packages also but not sure exactly what cai they include. these are all custom tuner shops so you will get much better tunes than the programmers come with by default when purchased through a parts vendor.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:20 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

there is no need for a "heat shield" it is no more than thin plastic or metal that doesnt actually keep any heat out. it will have heat soak just like anything else and wont essentially do anything. now if you directed a shaker ram airto the conical air filter behind the heat shield, that might. but essentially the engine bay is the engine bay and its gonna get hot no matter what.

Vmp will see more HP per dollar than anything else because of its 3" MAF housing. plain and simple.

the C&L tube does not prove any gains over the 3" MAf with stock tube, and is purely for looks. so if you want looks and functiongo with the C&L, if you just want function, go with the VMP package w/ 3" maf housing.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i think the heat shield does more for reducing air turbulence in the filter area than for keeping heat at bay. dont think it will be anything you notice performance wise but if the cai comes with one, then i think its worthwhile to install it.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:32 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

The heat shield does help.... it's not really a heat shield, it's a flow shield. Air is coming in and flowing across the engine, but with all the parts you get turbulence that makes flow go in all directions, and that can direct some hot air back toward the front and into the filter area. I have taken reading with a thermocouple based thermometer, and had a remote display in the car with me. When driving, the air directly adjacent to the filter was only 2-3 degrees warmer than ambient. When you stop, and air begins to move all through the engine bay (because there is no sweeping action of air entering the engine bay via movement), the air adjacent to the filter rises to 15-20 degrees above ambient.

I believe the shield works by keeping turbulent flow from backflowing into the filter area.... not as a direct heat shield against radiant or convective heat transfer.

Go with VMP, and get a C&L... best looking one to me for sure.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:01 AM
SumterBoy
2nd Gear Member

^^^ I want to go for the most HP also, not just looks.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:09 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I would go with the JLT, or the TI intakes. I had the TI intake and it showed the same gains as the C&L. The JLT is a very nice high quality piece. VMP's is good too, and has showed the same gains as intakes with a full maf tube replacement. A lot of it is preference as Dynos and ET's are pretty much the same for all of them, except the AEM. The AEM showed the same gains tuned as the stock airbox.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

.......except the AEM. The AEM showed the same gains tuned as the stock airbox.
the drawback in the AEM is the dryflow filter itself. although it filters great, its at the cost of air flow (much more practical for offroaders or dusty environments). i used to have the aem installed and ended up swapping the dryflow filter with an s&b cotton cone. the difference was big. i had bama's tunes before and after the filter swap and i was easily screeching my one tire with the s&b.

i love my current C&L but to be honest, the difference i felt from going aem w/s&b to the C&L using the same bama tunes was not big. i can notice subtle improvements throughout the range but not like what i experienced when i went from dryflow to s&b filter. JMO
Old 06-06-2008, 04:52 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Good CAI's with conical filters will all add about the same value, and that value is only a fraction of the value added by the whole tune and CAI combo. Most benefit comes from the tune. So at the end of the day, you buy the one that you think looks the best. There has been no scientific study of all the filters on the same car, at the same time with the same engine temp and ambient conditions, so there is NO WAY to really compare them. Get the tune for performance, and the CAI adds a little more, but mostly adds looks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking For A Good Cold Air Kit