Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Should I install the headers myself

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 10:43 PM
NeoV6

Default Should I install the headers myself

Hello all, I got a set of headers for my car and Im thinking about installing them myself. I'm still a novice but from the instructionsit seems pretty straight foward apart from one thing: "The directions say to torque the header to 30-35 ft/lb." How do I do that? Is this a hard install or should I go for it?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:19 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Should I install the headers myself

I was planning on doing my own headers. It looked pretty straight forward. No big deal. But since I didn't have much spare time, I took the car to the dealership. When I picked it up, they told me about all of the problems that they had with the install. They said that the sensor on the left side didn't go in right, some of the bolt holes weren't quite right, etc. After hearing about what a pain in the butt it was, I'm glad that I let them do it. I think that it was money well spent.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:49 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 68XR7

I was planning on doing my own headers. It looked pretty straight forward. No big deal. But since I didn't have much spare time, I took the car to the dealership. When I picked it up, they told me about all of the problems that they had with the install. They said that the sensor on the left side didn't go in right, some of the bolt holes weren't quite right, etc. After hearing about what a pain in the butt it was, I'm glad that I let them do it. I think that it was money well spent.
were they MAC headers?
Old 05-19-2008, 05:25 AM
bigdaddy0987
1st Gear Member

i say go for it yourself. but if you want to pay a mechanic 80 bucks an hour its your money. they arent that difficult to do. it might take a couple hours but that is money well saved. unless youre not very crafty with a ratchet and an open end wrench. to tork it you need a tork wrench. they range in size and price. usually starting around twenty five dollars up to $225. thats for craftsman at sears. i know you can borrow one from auto zone. all you have to pay is like a $20 refundable deposit. but i would definitely do it myself
Old 05-19-2008, 08:41 AM
ptkthekid
3rd Gear Member

The main headache with installing headers is (in my past experience) getting the old exhaust system off. The exhaust manifold bolts usually rust and sieze up pretty good. once you get past them, it shouldn't be super hard.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:33 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

I don't know for sure.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:27 PM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

I did mine in 3 hours with only a few hang-ups. Make sure you loosen the adjustable connector on the h pipe on the exhaust by the rear of the transmission to slide the exhaust pipe/cats back an inch or so or the stock mainfolds will have clearance issues on removal (specially drivers side) Re-Use the stock studs and nuts. Do not use the included Cheap chineese bolts for the heads. I re-used the manifold studs and nuts as well from the stock pieces...
Old 05-19-2008, 04:23 PM
NeoV6

Thanks for the advice. Unless is chicken out at the last minute, I think I will give it a go myself. They are Gibson Headers. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:56 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

30-35 ft lbs sounds way too much. Stock is like 17 ft lbs for the manifold nuts. Remember, we have aluminum heads.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:24 PM
fullmonte60
2nd Gear Member

i'm gonna do mine too. the search isn't working. does anyone have a link to the how-to? thanks. i plan on re-using the stock studs,etc. i have my doubts on the fasteners that came with them. they're not exactly ARP quality.

Quick Reply: Should I install the headers myself