Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 03:48 PM
bluest@ng
1st Gear Member

Default CAI problems

over the weekend I put my CAI on my 08 stang and I thought it was working great. took it for a drive, got home and put it in park... then my car acted like it was going to stall, started shaking...etc. it was fine before I put the CAI in. Has anyone else experienced a problem like this before? Could it be my computer in the car is wondering what's going on??? I don't know. guess I'll have to take it to ford.. joy!
Old 10-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Ford won't look at the car if the CAI caused the issue.

What type (Brand) of CAI is it and did you get a tuner with tune for it?
Old 10-13-2008, 07:18 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Ford won't look at the car if the CAI caused the issue.

What type (Brand) of CAI is it and did you get a tuner with tune for it?
Uh oh... not another one....
Old 10-13-2008, 07:54 PM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

Sounds you installed a CAI that requires a tune, but you didn't install a tune. Most CAI's require a tune be installed. There are a few that don't require a tune because the intake tube is the same diameter, and the MAF is the stock one used.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:13 PM
bluest@ng
1st Gear Member

thanks for the replies. I disconnected the battery and then plugged everything back up, it's all good now. guess I needed to reset everything... so far so good. I got my CAI from airaid. I can feel a BIG difference with the CAI, definitely worth the money, I love it. I don't have a tuner yet but I plan on getting one REAL soooooon. what kind of tuner should I get? any suggestions? I've seen SCT and predator online, not sure which one to get. thx....

also waiting on my dual exhaust kit to get here (weekend project). gonna convert to duals, can't freaking wait! ordered the MAC mufflers, they sound so good. got a good deal on southernmustangparts.com for the whole kit including the mufflers. only parts I had to order was the driver side muffler hangers, which let me tell ya, they're proud of those hangers! LOL
Old 10-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Definatley get a tune!!!

bamachips.com

Im going with the X cal 3 with the 91 tunes..check them out..heard nothing but great things!!
Old 10-14-2008, 03:22 PM
66chevy
1st Gear Member

even with my sct tune mine still throws a map code once in a while. its the 08 emissions thing i guess??
Old 10-14-2008, 04:18 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

AirAid CAI looks like they need tunes.......MAF inlet tube LOOKS borderline/larger than stock....(the site I visited doesn't list exact size specs for inlet tube interior walls)

I would revert to stock until you can get a tuner, but that is just me...........play at your own risk!!!!!

I suggest BAMAchips, and the SCT X-cal III tuner.

I seem to remember people with with AIRaids having the best gains with Bamatunes.....
Old 10-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Air raid is one of those that CLAIMS to not need a tune if you leave their venturi tube in there. If you remove it, it requires one...according to them.

I would never trust a CAI without a tune on these cars. The reason they "work" is that they do so by only adding as much additional air flow in as the car can correct for with factory settings. Meaning, you still run the risk of leaning out your mixture if you're driving under extreme conditions (like winter time or even cold mornings or WOT). You are maxing out the computers ability to adjust for changes with no margin of error.

Not a good idea IMO.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:06 PM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

Before I got my tune, I ran the Airaid and never had any problems. However, if you were to go with another CAI, I would DEFINITELY say get a tuner. Now, getting the tuner with a performance, torque, and race tune would wake the hell out of your car. So with that said.....go with Doug at Bamachips. He knows his stuff, and you will NOT be disappointed.

Quick Reply: CAI problems