Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

More Power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:23 PM
07_V6_Stang

Post More Power?

Hey guys, I just became a member so if this is a repeat thread I apologize in advance. Im looking for a little more power from my 4.0 but as a college student cant afford to supercharge yet. Im considering going with a BBK 70mm TB and TB spacer with a Steeda CAI w/ tune. So I'm wondering 2 things: 1)What kind of HP gain am I looking at? and 2) Has anyone else run this setup? If so, is it worth it? Or should I just save for SC?
Old 01-26-2009, 02:31 PM
ShadowWulf
2nd Gear Member

Larger t/b and t/b spacer won't do anything.

Do an intake + tune (~10 HP) and swap the muffler with at least a GT take-off muffler (~10 HP). The tune, in particular, will really wake the car up.

I have a JLT intake with Bamachips 93 octane race tune with a JBA single muffler. I dyno'd a gain of +20 RWHP and the car runs excellent.

This can be done for around $600.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:56 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Depends. If you think it's gunna be quite a while til you go with a supercharger, I think the above is a good option. It will keep you happy until you can afford a supercharger. It really is a noticeable difference. But if you are thinking you'd have the money to supercharge somewhat soon in the future, maybe you should just save it for the sc because you'd just have to sell the intake when you went with the supercharger anyway.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:09 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

+1, but a CAI with a tune will add a little more fun to the car; you can always sell the CAI later.
Dont bother with a TB nor spacer; definitely not worth the money.

FWIW, a good tune is a good first mod along with a different muffler; you'll feel a little bit more in the seat power.

SUpercharging or a turbo later on is always a fun thing to do!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 PM
07_V6_Stang

Thanks for the info guys. I've decided to wait on engine mods (still under warranty) but will probably wait and go all the way w/ a SC, be a while though. Next step may be appearance. As for the exhaust, I put a Flowmaster AT on it and love it, just too bad it has to be so far back...really loses its full potential.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:04 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Well since you are taking your time, just read and get some ideas on what to do and what to not bother with. This site is great!
Old 01-27-2009, 07:33 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07_V6_Stang
Thanks for the info guys. I've decided to wait on engine mods (still under warranty) but will probably wait and go all the way w/ a SC, be a while though. Next step may be appearance. As for the exhaust, I put a Flowmaster AT on it and love it, just too bad it has to be so far back...really loses its full potential.
I was planning on going with FI soon...and after my last mod, I may never do so as the car is where I wanted it.

A custom and agressive tune by Bama or VMP will make you think you were visited by the HP fairy. It may only be 18-20 HP, but it feels like 70-80...no kidding. Add 3.73 gears or even 4.10's and your car will feel about as close to a GT as you can get.

I get to drive a GT on a regular basis (the ole' man has one) and to be honest, my little sixer feels lighter on its feet and is more fun to drive. It spools up quick, is sharp to shift and goes through gears like a jackrabiit. I am a coservative driver, but I realize that I will be going through tires in a jiffy...just a dab on the gas will break the tires loose.

So, for les than $1500, you can have a VERY well performing car. I know it is not cheap, but the transformation will be worth it.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:34 AM
MR305
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
I was planning on going with FI soon...and after my last mod, I may never do so as the car is where I wanted it.
+1 ^^^^
Old 01-27-2009, 11:59 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
A custom and agressive tune by Bama or VMP will make you think you were visited by the HP fairy. It may only be 18-20 HP, but it feels like 70-80...no kidding. Add 3.73 gears or even 4.10's and your car will feel about as close to a GT as you can get....
...without going F/I
Old 01-27-2009, 02:13 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

++1...without going F/I thise are the best mods you can do .

....but...if you do F/I....

Quick Reply: More Power?