Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Brenspeed vs. BamaChips

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:18 AM
06Eleanor

Default Brenspeed vs. BamaChips

I've decided on getting a tuner and a custom tune for my V6 (FRPP Duals and BBK CAI), and I'm trying decide on where I should get it from.

Has anyone tried both Brenspeed and BamaChips tunes, and if so was one superior to the other and why.

Any information would be really helpful, both seem to be great tuners and I can't decide which one to pull the trigger on.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:57 AM
killdar
2nd Gear Member

cant say ive tried both, but heard bama is the best for autos so i went w/ bama and gotta say love the tune, runnin the 93trq right now
Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 AM
terkar

I have the bama for over a month now, only running the 87 performance tune and c&l intake. What a difference, response, shifting, different car. I plan on installing the 93 performance tune this weekend!
Old 04-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Larcious

Honestly, they are both reputable companies.

I decided to go with BamaChips based on the reviews I read on how easy it was to deal with them and that they did quality work.

My personal experience with them was very pleasant. They sent me the wrong tune format and quickly resolved the matter within 24 hours. I have also heard that they will sometimes update your tune for free if you make simple mods, such as switching rims from 16s to 20s. From what I read, Brenspeed will charge you each time you want to mod your tune.

As for performance, I decided to go with the 91 Race tune.

From his site:

"... the Race tune will further enhance the drivability of your new Mustang. Using the highest grade of fuel available in your area I can write a tune that will bring the throttle response to life. Enough so that I wouldn't recommend it for daily driving use as it may try to jump out from a stop and possibly even spin the tires. This wouldn't be good if you were beside a police car. One of the true benefits of this tune is that it doesn't increase the timing or reduce the fuel so it can be used with the premium grade fuel available in your area. And not require race fuel. "

I use it as my daily driver tune. My experience is that I get really nice throttle response in the first 3 gears and then it eases up in 4th and 5th. You can easily peel out in first gear and sometimes it will happen by accident due to the throttle being a little touchy in first gear. It's easy to get the "bucking" issue in 1st gear until you get used to the throttle.

When I first turned it on after installing my CAI and tune, it sounded like a different car. When I test drove it, it FELT like a different car. There have been times where I punch it in 1st then switch to 2nd and the car jets as the engine growls... then I hit 4th gear and am reminded that it's still a V6. Ha ha.

Honestly, a CAI and a tune are one of the cheaper mods that you can actually FEEL. Best bang for the buck.

I went with a JLT and the 91 Race Bama Tune and have been a HAPPY driver for the past year.

I only lost about 10 or so miles when on a full tank with the race tune vs. my stock tune, which is not bad considering that it's a "race" tune. I honestly expected it to drop at least 20.

The one con I have found is that the race tune makes my car want to be more aggressive. It does not like being anywhere near that grey area you get while slowing down, where you have to decide either stay in gear or down shift. The feeling is similar to going up a hill in an automatic that is constantly shifting gears every 3 seconds. I did not feel that as much with my stock tune. It may not be an issue with the Torque and/or Performance tunes.

That's my .02, hope it helps. Point being, you cannot go wrong with either Brenspeed or BamaChips. It's like Chocolate and Vanilla Ice-Cream. Different flavours, but it's still delicious Ice-Cream.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I'd say you can't go wrong either way. Bama does offer free tunes even if you don't buy from them. If you buy the part that needs a tune from brenspeeed then the tune is free, and that includes everything except n20 I believe? not certain on that..

You also don't need new tunes for many parts.. tires and gears can be changed using the hand held tuner that you get.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:18 AM
06Eleanor

thanks for all the help guys, looks like its gonna be Bamachips with the 87 perf / 91 torque / 91 race tunes, seems to be a popular choice with everyone and although both have great reviews and im sure i cant go wrong with either, Bama seems to pride themselves on great customer service and from all the things i have read, it would seem like that really shines through in their product and satisfaction ratings
Old 04-22-2009, 01:33 AM
chavalo_nm1
3rd Gear Member

either or
Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Larcious

Originally Posted by 06Eleanor
thanks for all the help guys, looks like its gonna be Bamachips with the 87 perf / 91 torque / 91 race tunes, seems to be a popular choice with everyone and although both have great reviews and im sure i cant go wrong with either, Bama seems to pride themselves on great customer service and from all the things i have read, it would seem like that really shines through in their product and satisfaction ratings

Awesome, you will NOT be sorry. See if you can tell the difference between the 91 torque and the 91 race. For some reason, I think you will like the 91 race tune much more . Once you hit those 91 tunes, I do not think that the 87 will see the light of day, unless you are taking a road trip and want to conserve gas.

Make a note of how many miles you are getting now vs. how many you get with each tune. Try to start with a full tank for each test. You can program the tunes while you are filling up at the gas station . I only dropped about 10 (I was getting 340-350 per tank and now I get 330-340).

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:40 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

i have a bama tuned bbk cai, love it. problem solved.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06Eleanor
I've been thinking about getting the same combo except getting 93 octane for the premium tunes as it is widely available in my area (never seen 91 octane:P). Have you received yours yet? If so which tunes have you tried and what are you impressions?

Quick Reply: Brenspeed vs. BamaChips