Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Nitrous used to cool Supercharger output

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:11 AM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

Default Nitrous used to cool Supercharger output

So I'm just thinking out loud here.....

As i understand it, Nitrous works because it cools the air, making it more dense, so the computer can inject more fuel, yada yada yada, more HP.

So why not inject a small shot of nitrous after the supercharger has compressed & heated the air? In theory, this might eliminate the need for an intercooler.
For example with the very popular X-charger, that currently doesn't have an intercooler option, could an engine inject a small stream or 25-50 Nitrous shot post supercharger, cool the air, and have the engine computer compensate and inject more fuel?

Now, obviously this would only be used for racing applications, and it would use a lot of nitrous for extended racing. Since the engine computer controls the fuel injection, I'm guessing that the X-charger tune would be sufficient, only adding the extra fuel when detecting the cooler air. Normal driving would use the regular F/I air, but when racing a driver could turn on the juice for a little extra "cooler" boost.

Any thoughts? I'd love to hear why this may or may not work.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Actually, Nitrous works because it CONTAINS oxygen (Nitrous OXIDE) not because of the cooling effect (which is incidental as any gas draws heat from it's surroundings as it goes from a high pressure compressed state to a lower pressure. Cooling the charge is an added bonus with nitrous, not it's primary benefit)

Theoretically, it would be possible to "piggyback" a nitrous system onto a supercharger like the X-Charger. In practical terms, it raises the complexity of the system, makes correct tuning far more difficult, and greatly increases the chance something "unfortunate" could occur with the engine.

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 09-25-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info.

Guess I'll just wait for the intercooled X.
I'm always learning stuff on here.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Jebmustangv6
2nd Gear Member

Default why not use a water/ meth cooler

I was wondering why you could or couldnot use a water/meth injection system like they use for turbos to cool and help reduce detnation? that would also allow a lower octane fuel correct?
Old 09-25-2009, 01:13 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

i could be wrong here, also thinking out loud, but the the intercooler would be more of a continuous process, to where you could use your charger all the time, where if you was to make-shift your route, you could only do it per say if your bottles were full. atleast to get the effect you guys are talking about.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jebmustangv6
I was wondering why you could or couldnot use a water/meth injection system like they use for turbos to cool and help reduce detnation? that would also allow a lower octane fuel correct?
You can definitely use a water/meth system with a supercharger, same as with a turbo.

I'm running the Bamachips Wet-X setup with my X-Charger. Works great.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by disposablehero27
i could be wrong here, also thinking out loud, but the the intercooler would be more of a continuous process, to where you could use your charger all the time, where if you was to make-shift your route, you could only do it per say if your bottles were full. atleast to get the effect you guys are talking about.
This is essentially correct. The Nitrous rig would really be a "track only" setup due to the bottle limitations (not to mention many states have laws against having a connected nitrous setup on a street car). An intercooled setup is just "there" all the time when you need it.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:42 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by Jebmustangv6
Actually you can use water/meth for any form of FI and it effectively raises the octane rating to either run more timing (more HP) or allow a lesser octane fuel to act as an "octane booster" (many times over 100 octane) and adds yet another benefit of cooling like you mentioned.

good read

http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...h-alcohol.html

quote from article

First a big drop in inlet temp that’s not affected by intercooler hardware heat saturation, and second a big jump in octane. A third advantage comes from Alcohol kits: it can take over where your old fuel system falls off and allow more boost and RWHP without having to go to bigger fuel injectors or other fuel system upgrades in many cases.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:26 PM
BAMFingOh10
1st Gear Member

I didn't read the entire thread, but Be careful!!! Also, you may want to invest in a quality AEM water methanol kit, unless you live in CA in which case they're illegal. I could see this igniting the methanol as lower quality water methanol kits have spring delay in between the shots (based on the engine speed) spraying unevenly. This reduces the likelihood that you'll need to change block components out later that are toasted like a nice Swiss cheese.

You could also risk detonating if somehow pure oxygen ions, which are explosive, ignite prematurely and then get sprayed when you press the gas pedal.