Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Single exhaust ?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:37 PM
bobbob
1st Gear Member

Default Single exhaust ?????

i have a stock 2006 mustang and im curious about ehaust systems as well as the mufflers them selves.

1. now first off to get a good sound out of my car what needs to be done???
2. do i need to change the entire system or just the muffelers?
3. what are your personal oppinions on systems/ muffelers?

i have looked and like the flowmaster 40's (opinions????)

5. i live in CA so its important that whatever i do im UNDER 95 DBS now id like to get close to that point

6. what are the diffrences, pros & cons, of straight through designed muffelers as compared to standard ones?

7. were can i get the most bang for my buck??
Old 12-29-2009, 07:22 AM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

I have a full Pypes system with an X pipe. I like the sound of it and its one of the cheaper kits out there.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:56 AM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

I assume you are wanting to stay with single exhaust from the title of the post? I said I wasn't going to, but I am now considering a muffler change on my V6 - I still don't think I want to go with duels. I have seen some stock V6 mufflers that continue to look clean - but mine for some reason has a lot of discoloring on it already. I don't think much is gained in hp for a swap, but I am considering a change for possible sound enhancement and looks. I'm going to start a search here for options. So far the stainless MAC single I have seen looks good, but I don't know about its change in sound.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:29 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

The stock V6 muffler is restrictive. Even adding a single GT take-off muffler will net a gain of 5-8rwhp. The sound from a GT take-off is improved too, but not obnoxious or ricey. Best of all - they're cheap. An aftermarket muffler will change the sound but not generate a huge improvement in power versus a single GT take-off muffler. But losing the restrictive stock V6 muffler is a good idea regardless.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:09 AM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 28HopUp
The stock V6 muffler is restrictive. Even adding a single GT take-off muffler will net a gain of 5-8rwhp. The sound from a GT take-off is improved too, but not obnoxious or ricey. Best of all - they're cheap. An aftermarket muffler will change the sound but not generate a huge improvement in power versus a single GT take-off muffler. But losing the restrictive stock V6 muffler is a good idea regardless.
28 - so are you saying, a single GT take off OR aftermarket will get you 5-8rwhp??

Searching on here, I found people like:

GT Take-Off from Manual Transmission
MRT??
Flowmaster

Again, will the above 3 qualify for a 5-8rwhp gain? ODDYSEY suggested somewhere a sticky on this topic, did I miss it??? No abuse - I'm not on vacation for the holidays, but in state of constant hangover....

Duh... ok here's a link to the sticky, looks like titled duels but info on singles..
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...converson.html

Last edited by laterider; 12-29-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:29 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Originally Posted by laterider
28 - so are you saying, a single GT take off OR aftermarket will get you 5-8rwhp??

Yes, GT take-off or aftermarket muffler(s) will net that type of gain over the stock V6 muffler. Dyno sheets have been posted to prove that. But they all have a different sound to them.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

i LOVE my single GT takeoff muffler

its the perfect tone

not a fan of duels on the sixxers

the single is enough to be heared but not too much to get annoying

heres a few vids of mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONrIniSXIjo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io3D2iwFoh0

and the begining of this one you can hear me take off but the music was too loud
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVBPsPF56Cg
Old 12-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

oh and it only cost me $40 lol
Old 12-29-2009, 08:25 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

If your worried about DBs, the FRPP M5230V6 dual exhaust kit is 50 state drive-by noise legal and comes with EVERYTHING needed. It sounds great too. The Pypes dual exhaust system seems to be the cheapest priced one out there. If you want the least expensive V6 exhaust setup, stay with the single exhaust and go with the GT takeoff muffler. Just get rid of that stock V6 muffler!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:29 PM
bobbob
1st Gear Member

thank you so much

i beleive that i like the GT take off cuz of cost issues lol

plus more hp= more fun

Quick Reply: Single exhaust ?????