Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

A\C Intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 02:14 PM
orlps

Default A\C Intermittent

Hi All. A few weeks ago, I was driving home from work when my AC start blowing warmer than usual. It wasn't hot, but just wasn't ice cold. Since then, the problem has started getting worse. The compressor clutch will kick off intermittently. About 60 percent of the time, I get ice cold air, and if it starts blowing hot, I can down shift and get the RPM's up to around 3500 for a few seconds and the AC will kick back on. I have verified that when it's blowing hot, the clutch is disengaged. I bought a recharge gauge and when I put it on the port, it shows a full AC charge. I'm just wondering what other steps I should take to trouble shoot, or if i should just plan on replacing the compressor clutch this weekend. Any help is appreciated, since today was 108F with the heat index
Old 06-17-2010, 12:47 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

How'd you read the ac charge to know it was full? The compressor clutch has to be engaged to read the pressure properly.
It sounds like your charge is getting low.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:27 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Find someone with a real set of manifold gauges and connect them to the A/C system. That is the only way you are going to be able to tell what is going on. Sounds like you could have one of several problems. I'm no expert but I've done complete A/C repair on 4 of my vehicles successfully. What you would need to know are the operating values of the high and low(suction) sides read when the system is at full charge.
The bad thing about those auto parts stores that sell the quick recharge kits is it only measures the low pressure side with no regard to the high pressure side. Putting more freon into a system that has an obstruction in the fixed orifice or elsewhere only makes the problem worse. That would increase the pressure at the compressor which would trip the high pressure switch and make the compressor cut off. To be safe, do it right. If you don't know what you are doing, take it to someone who you trust that knows what they are doing.
These systems operate on the high pressure side from 200 PSI upwards to 350 PSI and the temperature of the freon at that pressure would severely burn you if a line burst and you were within striking range.
One source I used to help me was http://aircondition.com/wwwboard/ which helped me verify gauge readings and temperatures.