Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Filter crushing

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:15 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Default Filter crushing

I have a Tunable Induction CAI and I love it but, I have a lot of filter crushing happening. It wasn't too bad when I first installed it but it is noticeably worse now.

Does anyone know what cubic flow rate our cars should have for an NA set up? I was thinking of going with an HPR high flow filter at 1100 CFM (which should be more than I need) but it is longer that I want. I think a shorter 6" long filter would be better , I just want to make sure I can feed it the amount of air it needs. Thanks
Old 07-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

That is really strange. The engine must be sucking more air than the filter can handle. I don't know what the answer would be, but be sure that that filter is still seated properly, and the engine isn't sucking any air that doesn't go through the filter. This could cause major damage to you engine, and wouldn't take too long to do it.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Not sure if it was a new filter, but a dirty filter could cause that, the more restriction on the filter, the harder the engine will work to pull air through the clogged filter, hence crushing the filter. I have seen that happen with filters at work, even though mine are used with water pressure. A good way to test your filter and see if it is pulling air through it correctly is hook a shop-vac up to the end of it and suck air through it, if it is weak then it is either clogged or the pockets on the filter are to small.

Last edited by obxdude018; 07-12-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:02 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

It had minor crushing from the day I got it but I thought ok well its new so its probably just me. I have been noticing it getting worse but chose to ignore it. The filter is seated firmly, I will have to check with a shop vac. TI says the filter is rated for 1500+ CFM, the one I was looking to replace it is only 1100CFM, I don't think my engine pulls either amount, but not knowing what it needs I want to be sure to get above that. I am guessing I need around 500 CFM but I don't know that. I also wanted to get a shorter filter (6-7") that might be a little stronger since its frame doesn't need to support such a long filter.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Dump that filter and get a tune-required CAI and custom tune. No sense having something on there that isn't gaining you any noticeable RWHP AND looks like it belongs in the trash.

OOPS. Just saw that you have a tune. Nevermind...
Old 07-13-2010, 08:24 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Thanks Nuke you wouldn't happen to know what the CFM of our engines (4.0L that is) are would you?
Old 07-17-2010, 11:21 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by JCON
Thanks Nuke you wouldn't happen to know what the CFM of our engines (4.0L that is) are would you?
4.0Ls times RPM times 60 seconds...

Then convert the metric to US standards....

Old 07-17-2010, 05:49 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

That is about what I used to figure out the 500CFM. As long as someone else agrees with my numbers I think I am good. I just know TI told me the filter was 1500 and the filter I wanted to get was 1100, I just don't want to choke the engine. I wish I had a way to test the flow. All I have here is pressure testing equip. I suppose I could rig something up but I'd prefer not to. Thanks dB
Old 07-22-2010, 09:18 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I am currently having some issues with Win 7 and Live Link 6. Does any one (or can someone) do a WOT run and data log the air flow through the MAF? Then I can just go make a WOT run and have someone watch the live logging on the X3
Old 07-23-2010, 08:14 AM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

I've got the Tunable Induction CAI.
Have had mine for 2 years and 50,000 miles.
I opted for the cone shaped filter instead of the cylinder shape.
(You could chose either at the time of my purchase)
I wash mine every six months and haven't had any issues.

Have you contacted TI about the filter?

Quick Reply: Filter crushing