Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Throttle Body Questions!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:56 PM
johnd304

Default Throttle Body Questions!?

1.) I read on a thread where the 2005 v6's have a heated throttle body. Is that the case for the 2008s? If so, would a TB bypass be of any benefit?

2.) Are throttle bodies worth it? I've seen a ton of posts where a lot of guys on here dog the aftermarket tb's due to lack of performance, and many problems from them. I want a clear definite answer before I potentially waste money. =)

3.) Can you run a tb spacer without having an aftermarket tb? I got one super cheap offline when I first got my car, and never got around to installing it.

Thank you guys so much. I'm learning a ton in just the few days I've been a member here.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:11 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

I would assume that the 2008's are heated as well, considering it is the same motor, they run coolant through it for freezing purposes, you can bypass it really simply, I'm gonna say and I won't be the first either throttle body spacers are useless, just a shiny piece of metal thats it. On the way of throttle bodies, you won't see much of any gain from them, the price for power is just not worth it. You would probably need it for the extra air flow if you had a built and blown motor.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:19 PM
johnd304

Originally Posted by obxdude018
I would assume that the 2008's are heated as well, considering it is the same motor, they run coolant through it for freezing purposes, you can bypass it really simply, I'm gonna say and I won't be the first either throttle body spacers are useless, just a shiny piece of metal thats it. On the way of throttle bodies, you won't see much of any gain from them, the price for power is just not worth it. You would probably need it for the extra air flow if you had a built and blown motor.
I was thinking that also. Hmm, I prob couldn't get any money outta the spacer so I'll prob go ahead and put it on.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:02 PM
2007 grimlock stang
1st Gear Member

1. The heated TB actually increased intake air LOL; Ford when to a non-heated TB mid-prod in 05 I believe. So the both of us have the newer non-heated TB on our cars.

2. I used to think they weren't based on a lot of problems seen on various boards, but I have heard good stories too. However, Nov issue of some smaller Mustang mag (can't remember the name but it's in Barnes N Noble right now) they test the BBK 70mm TB and got 15.Xhp and 10.Xftlbs. The article really put a stress on pre-recording the TB lead voltage (can't remember the range) and when you install the BBk you must adjust a brass set screw and retest with your voltmeter to adjust to the initial setting. If these steps are skipped, the TB will NOT function properly.

This leads me to believe that some of the posts on crappy TBs are possibly due to people simply not following the instructions.

15hp and 10lbft is worth $299 to me since I'm on an N/A quest. I wanna do other things like BMR Kmember/a-arms and Shaftmasters 4" DS so for now a TB mod is at the bottom of my list.

I'm afeard of TB spacers. So scurd.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:14 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by obxdude018
I would assume that the 2008's are heated as well, considering it is the same motor, they run coolant through it for freezing purposes, .
They run coolant through the throttle body now? LOL Oh man where do you guys get this stuff?

Ok, if you have ever looked at a throttle body spacer it is just a square piece of metal with four bolt holes and one big opening for the air. Exaclty where does the coolant pass into and out of the throttle body if you use the spacer?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:43 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

After some research, S197's other than the '05 year don't run a heated throttle body, older mustangs ran coolant through them to keep the ambient air temp up in them and to prevent freezing of the throttle body. Here is a related article. http://www.mustangcollective.com/arc...php/t-499.html
Old 10-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you install the TB spacer, you'll lose all credibility. Use it for what it's best suited for; paper weight or xmas tree ornament.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:31 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
If you install the TB spacer, you'll lose all credibility. Use it for what it's best suited for; paper weight or xmas tree ornament.
I second this notion.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:35 PM
johnd304

Originally Posted by Nuke
LoL will do.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:22 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
They run coolant through the throttle body now? LOL Oh man where do you guys get this stuff?

Ok, if you have ever looked at a throttle body spacer it is just a square piece of metal with four bolt holes and one big opening for the air. Exaclty where does the coolant pass into and out of the throttle body if you use the spacer?
Yea they do actually.

http://www.v6john.com/Main/Performan.../tb_bypass.htm

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Questions!?