Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

X-charger owners please read.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 02:44 PM
DarkGaV6
2nd Gear Member

Default X-charger owners please read.

Hey all I am planning ( means saving ) on getting a x-charger in the future. My question is have you experianced any clutch or transmission problems after installing. One if the guys in my club recently installed a procharger and now is having transmission issues and is going to upgrade to a gt tranny. Should I add this into my saving plans??? Thanks.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Race cars break, that's just a fact of life. When you start putting go fast parts on your car and then driving it hard, it's going to break something sooner or later. It's a machine, and machines have limitations just like everything else. Jeep guys that add lift kits and oversize tires still end up repairing and replacing things that break because they go out and push the vehicle beyond the limits of what it was designed to do. Same thing. It's the same transmission in the GT (5R55S) so switching it out won't accomplish much accept that you might have a newer tranny. If you don't want anything to break my advice is to leave the car stock, perform good and regular maintenance and don't drive it like a race car. But that's me. It's your car and your money so I think you should absolutely do what you feel is best for you.

PS, I'm assuming you have the automatic. If not than the GT tranny is the TR3650. I couldn't tell you if it will make a difference to use it vs the T50D.

Last edited by Whitehorse10; 02-05-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:15 PM
DarkGaV6
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the reply and mine is a stick. I just had to be able to bang through the gears.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:26 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

If its auto you're fine to 400hp? if its stick you should think about upgrading.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

My car was the first X-charger installed with a manual. The transmission has held up fine for me. I use the car mainly on the street with only occasional track trips, and then with street tires mounted. I got about to about 35K on the stock clutch ("X" went on at 15K) and even then the car was fine on the street, the clutch just wouldn't hold for dragstrip launches.

Unless you're planning to go to the track every weekend running sticky slicks, I think you can get by with the factory trans, just be prepared to add a high performance clutch down the road (my preference is the Centerforce DF)

All that being said, I am planning to switch to a 6-spd when I can, just for the extra gear and smoother feel of the shift linkage.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Sean, I have a vortech not a procharger . Lol.

You will destroy 3rd if you bang it enough times with something other then a stock clutch, especially if you shift into your torque curve... Go on the Mustang Collective, there is plenty of people on there that have broken them. The guy I bought my vortech from has 3 T5's sitting in his garage missing 3rd gear, trust me. I am doing a 3650 swap around March-April.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Performance clutch, which you will eventfully need, and banging gears with extra power of FI. Bye Bye T5!
You can make it last if you goes easy on the shifts but that is not what most of you want to do. LOL Of course the stock 7.5 rearend is also an issues when banging gears!

Last edited by Nice Pony; 02-08-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nice Pony
Performance clutch, which you will eventfully need, and banging gears with extra power of FI. Bye Bye T5!
You can make it last if you goes easy on the shifts but that is not what most of you want to do. LOL Of course the stock 7.5 rearend is also an issues when banging gears!
Geez Gaylon...now I feel like I'm not hard enough on my drivetrain
Old 02-08-2011, 10:49 PM
livinloud98
2nd Gear Member

is the 3650 a direct swap? if not how bad is the swap are there any special brackets and what not that would be needed?
Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by livinloud98
is the 3650 a direct swap? if not how bad is the swap are there any special brackets and what not that would be needed?
No, not a direct swap. You need an adapter kit to match up the bolt patterns (available from Nice Pony who was the first to pioneer this swap). Doing so also requires some other mods like relocating two of the O2 sensors.

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 02-09-2011 at 06:33 AM.

Quick Reply: X-charger owners please read.