Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

4.10 Gears

Old 04-14-2011, 01:09 PM
injen07
1st Gear Member

Default 4.10 Gears

Will you notice a big acceleration difference within the higher gears(2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th), or is it just on take off? I have an auto, but can messing around with the auto gears hurt the 4.10s? The reason I ask that is because I sometimes use the 1st or 2nd gear and have it at a higher rpm to have a better pull.
Thanks
Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

This is with a GT, not exactly sure how it will be in a v6 but they do great in my auto.

1st and 2nd gears are close to useless since they are so short but pulls like a beast in 3rd and 4th.

I play around with my auto here and there. As long as you know what you're doing, it shouldn't hurt the car. I have, though not unheard of, have the car stuck in gear no matter what I shifted into. I then had to shut the car off and restart, and all was fine. I was just lucky I could get the car somewhere I could turn off and park. Being stuck in 3rd in an area with 55 speed limit just didn't work.

Last edited by alkemist; 04-14-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:42 PM
injen07
1st Gear Member

Nice...yeah going to talk to the mechanic tomorrow(today) and see if they can lower the price, because they have seemed to have gone up in price. The gears are probably the last performance mod I will put in the car before I pay it off in two years or more and get another. Might as well have fun with it. Thanks and superb looking Stangs you got there.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:53 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Be aware that you'll need a tuner to adjust for the speedometer change. I have an RPM vs speed spreadsheet in which you input your tire size, gears, etc and it'll give you approx. RPM's for each gear. I'm pretty sure you can choose the auto or manual. PM me with your addy and I can forward it.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

^ ah yes, thats right. With the auto, you need the shift points adjusted. You will need a tune written (or updated) for the 4.10.

When you do get gears, make sure to get the FRPP ones. Not the cheap motive brand.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:49 AM
injen07
1st Gear Member

@Nuke- PM my addy? Sorry, kind of confused.
@Alkemist-Where can I find the Ford Racing 4.10 gears for a 2008 v6? I remember seeing some before, but can't remember where they were selling them. All I've seen are the motives.
Thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 10:42 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Come to think of it, FRPP may only make gear sets for the 8.8 (GT rear end). I'm not 100% sure but google search isn't pulling anything up right away.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:58 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

There are gears out there for the 7.5 (the rear end that a V6 comes with from the factory)..but I do not think Ford Racing has them.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/05-07-mustang-gears.html

Above link is an example.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:16 PM
injen07
1st Gear Member

Hmm...yeah, pretty hard to find. The good thing is that the last time I spoke with the mechanic, he said he mainly worked on Motive gears and has done them on some Mustangs. Asked himm about whine issues, and he said they shouldn't unless installed properly. Made me feel a little better, but still want to make sure that he can properly install them. I'm also hoping he knows how to use the Diablo Predator and set the speedo and what not, while still using the 93 Octane Tune. If I can't find the Ford gears, I most probably have to go with Motive. A lot of people have been saying good things about them, but then again, there's also the negative side of discussions about them. Everyone says the gears are worth the costs, so I'm anxious to see the difference. What should the verdict be?
Thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 03:28 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

It's a tough call. Seems like motive gears have lower quality control than the FRPP ones. Even with a good install, the gear set itself may have flaws and cause issues/whine. In this case, it's up to you if you want to take the chance. One plus to upgrading to the 8.8 is no more one wheel peels.

Again, you said you have an auto. You need to have the tune rewritten for the gear change. The hand held will only adjust the speedo but your car won't shift right when in D (auto).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.10 Gears