Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

The Quietest Mustang Ever

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 01:33 PM
ejones

Default The Quietest Mustang Ever

I recently purchased a 2006 v6 4.0L 5 speed manual. The previous owner put a bbk cold air intake and a dual exhaust with pypes street pros. The pypes droned so bad that I replaced them with stock gt mufflers. I would like to quiet them down further because at 2000 rpm they still seem too loud to me. I spoke to a tech at Walker about adding a Dynomax 24236 mid muffler in tandem with the stock mufflers and he said that I wouldn't notice any sound reduction even though they are rated at 4dBa sound reduction level. Has anyone added a mid muffler to the gt stock mufflers and gotten a sound level reduction? If so, which model did you use? I would consider quieter mufflers as well, but now since I have a dual exhaust, haven't found any.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:31 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Hey ejones

I have the Bullet axle-back mufflers with the Mac Prochamber. My exhaust is very quite. It screams in the high rpm's, but driving around town it is quite quiet and absolutely zero drone.

I bought the FRPP V6 dual exhaust kit for the 05-09s and added on the prochamber about a year later. The prochamber defiantly quieted the system down, compared to the X-pip that came with the kit. I think you would have similar results (maybe even quieter?) with the stock GT mufflers and the prochamber. Sorry, no sound clips, but it is a solid setup, and people are surprised its a six when they hear it under load. I think this is exactly what you're looking for!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:36 AM
ejones

Thanks for your recommendation. You say that it screams at high rpms. I know I may be atypical, but I am looking for it to be quieter at 2000 rpm especially in the cabin. Is the scream you mention due to your mufflers or the pro chamber? My mufflers are not too bad around town. Do you think the pro chamber will quiet them at 2000 rpm? Thanks again, I really appreciate the constructive advice.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:53 AM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Sorry, I said "scream" in the wrong context; inside noise. Its loud outside the car at WOT. But when you pin it, it is still very quiet inside the cabin. Obviously if you have the windows open it will be a bit louder. Your neighbors will not be wanting to kill you when you start your car in the morning.

I would have to say the prochamber WOULD quiet your mufflers a little bit. The prochamber is a hybrid style H-pipe. Where the little "H" connection (to connect the 2 pipes), is instead replaced by a giant chamber, essentially a muffler. Just check out pics of it and you will see. The exhaust gasses get scavenged in the little chamber/muffler, before moving onward to your GT takeoff mufflers. I'm not the best at explaining what happens but hopefully you can at least slightly understand.

Ultimately, the sound is a little quieter than a regular H/X/Straight pipes, but allows for a more hollow sounding exhaust (not obnoxiously loud or raspy), due to a mid mounted chamber.
Kind of like how the 99-04 cars had the mufflers mounted in the middle of the car, and the 05-09 has the mufflers at the very back of the car. Produces a different sound.

Do a search on here for info on the prochamber, there are others who have explained it much better. but to quiet down your exhaust, I would think its either this, or mount Resonators (been there, done that, no thanks!)

Last edited by drfister; 05-14-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 AM
ejones

Once again, thanks very much for your advice on this topic. I have to agree with your statements that it is either the pro chamber or the resonators. It seems that you had a negative experience with the resonators. Can you tell me more about that? Thanks again in advance!
Old 05-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

ford racing axle backs dude..zero drone
Old 05-14-2013, 05:47 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

I had a Flowmaster single axle back in the day. I eventually grew tired of the drone, even though it sounded pretty good, and thus installed a resonator to help cancel the drone. While it did accomplish that, it killed A LOT my sound, which was something I wasn't aiming for (but maybe that's something you want?). Eventually got duals, the Ford V6 dual kit with the x-pipe. Grew tired of that shound and was interested in the Pro-chamber, and went with that. Has a great sound that's drone free and quiet in the cabin and has a decent, not overwhelming sound level outside. Loud doesn't necessarily mean it sounds good, especially on a six.

Last edited by drfister; 05-14-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:19 PM
ejones

which resonator did you use?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:15 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

No idea. Took it to a good exhaust shop. Was <$100
Old 10-17-2013, 08:45 PM
ejones

So I finally got back to this. I put a pair of vibrant 1793 18" resonators in. They really did the trick. They are stainless and are not glasspacks. They quieted down my drone at 2000 rpm so that I can listen to the radio at normal levels

Quick Reply: The Quietest Mustang Ever