Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI Tuninbg Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 11:44 AM
rodtod11

Default CAI Tuninbg Question

Sorry....new to this stuff..but...I was checking out American Muscle and saw that some CAI systems came with a tuner and some did not. Also, some said "Needs Tune" and some did not. If you install a cold air system will the car set the computer accordingly after driving it a while? My Escape does reset the computer in certain conditions to relearn idle and shift points.
Or...is it just better to get a tuner with the CAI? I noticed a BIG cost differance.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:18 PM
05windviel
2nd Gear Member

Well there are some CAI that don't require a tune but they really don't do that much. If you get a Cai with the tuner it also has custom tunes i believe, and as most people this is one of the best things you can do to your car. I just recently got a tuner for mine and it makes quite a bit of difference you'd be best off getting the combo if you can afford it otherwise wait till you can because its better to get the combo than to buy one that doesn't require a tune because you might not get as much of a gain from a intake that doesn't require a tune.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:56 PM
rodtod11

Thanks! I think I will do just what you said. It sounds like what I want is a good CAI with tuner and the Borla exhaust. Not looking to break speed records, just run smoother with a good exhaust tone.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

No-tune-required CAI's do little with regard to performance gains as the PCM can make only minor adjustments for the additional air flow. Plus, some PCM's will still throw a code for running lean, even with a no-tune-required CAI. A CAI & tune combo will gain you about 4-5 times the power that a stand-alone CAI will gain. Do it right the first time.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Nuke
No-tune-required CAI's do little with regard to performance gains as the PCM can make only minor adjustments for the additional air flow. Plus, some PCM's will still throw a code for running lean, even with a no-tune-required CAI. A CAI & tune combo will gain you about 4-5 times the power that a stand-alone CAI will gain. Do it right the first time.
Ditto, CAI with no tune is like a nice chick's bikini top the girl wearing has no ***** for it! What's he point?
Old 05-12-2011, 02:31 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I have an Airaid CAI, which does not require a tune, but after the installation I only felt minimal performance gain, maybe 3-5 HP in the higher RPM range. However, once I uploaded the custom tune, I felt a drastic change w/ the throttle response and HP! CAI/Custom tune combo is the way to go!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 05-12-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:39 PM
rodtod11

That's an interesting idea! What does a custum tune cost? If I bought a tuner with CAI I can't see that I would need it again.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:46 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rodtod11
That's an interesting idea! What does a custum tune cost? If I bought a tuner with CAI I can't see that I would need it again.
If you buy a CAI/tuner combo from AM, it typically comes with 3 custom tunes. You choose the tunes according to the octane available in your area. Example: I have the following custom tunes for my car (87 - 89 - 91). You will need the tuner to change your tunes or set it back to stock, when needed.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 05-12-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
...CAI with no tune is like a nice chick's bikini top the girl wearing has no ***** for it! What's he point?
At least the girl with no ***** may still have some "talent" and can "perform", unlike a no-tune-CAI (I never met a woman with 2 sets of lips I didn't like).

Having the tune also means that you can adjust some other minor parameters to resolve your speedometer issues due to gear and tire size changes in addition to a few other parameters. Also, as you continue to mod, you can get revised tunes to suit.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I never met a woman with 2 sets of lips I didn't like
Hahaha

But OP, get the tuner with the CAI or don't bother, and it's well worth it.

Quick Reply: CAI Tuninbg Question