Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

oil choice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

Default oil choice?

My 2005 mustang v6 (auto) is not for racing but I do love it and would like to keep it running smoothly for awhile and would be willing to dish out the extra money for it. I just recently went to a speed lube and got Valvoline instead of Penzoil but I heard royal purple is really good. Any thoughts?

also side question: aux jack for my stock radio and a GPS, or replace the radio for a pioneer (GPS/MP3/touch radio)?

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2011, 02:24 AM
Rshustler1
2nd Gear Member

I put royal purple in my 09 v6 and love it it never knocks and is very trustworthy also check for an aux jack inside your center console ii had 1 there
Old 06-20-2011, 05:47 AM
JimC

No auxiliary jack on the 2005 - that didn't come on the car until the 2007 model year.

I run the Mobil 1 50/50 blend in my car, and change it every 5,000 to 6,000 miles - and I do race it on the weekends. I have 173,500 miles on this engine with no problems at all. About every third oil change I send a sample out for testing and it comes back with no issues showing up - plus they say I can extend it to 7,500 miles between changes based upon the condition of the oil.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:13 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
No auxiliary jack on the 2005 - that didn't come on the car until the 2007 model year.

I run the Mobil 1 50/50 blend in my car, and change it every 5,000 to 6,000 miles - and I do race it on the weekends. I have 173,500 miles on this engine with no problems at all. About every third oil change I send a sample out for testing and it comes back with no issues showing up - plus they say I can extend it to 7,500 miles between changes based upon the condition of the oil.
Jim, could you post info on where you can have your oil sent off to be tested?
Old 06-20-2011, 06:58 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Your car came from the factory with MotorCraft 5W30 synthetic blend, good for up to 7500 miles or 6 months, as well as the OE Motorcraft filter being good for that 7500 miles (and is also about as good a filter as you can get for the $$). With that being said, I wouldn't go over 7,000 miles on most any blend; 5,000 miles if you do a lot of city driving. Full synthetic is good for 10,000 miles or more along with a high capacity filter and suits you if you tend to put a lot of miles on the car. Blend or full syn will take your engine beyond 200,000-300,000 miles and more with little difference to be seen, if any. Take your pick but, for the money, you can't beat the price of the Motorcraft oil and filter at Wally World. Oil changes are simply too simple to let a shop do it.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

When I purchased my car at the dealership, an incentive was free oil changes and tire rotation. With that said, I have a coupon book and take my car in every 3,000 miles to get the oil change and every other visit, they rotate the wheels. I notice that my last visit, the sticker indicated to come back 5,000 miles, instead of 3,000 miles. Has this been a change across all shops/dealerships?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I think I will probably try to go to mobil 1 or royal purple next time. As Jim stated above they didn't add aux jack until 07', but I found out from a radio shop that there is aux jack on the back of the radio and they could run a system from that to disable the radio at will for MP3 player use and then I could buy a tomtom or garmin or whatever. But I know of a lot of people who invest in an in dash radio that is a GPS/MP3 player... would it be worth it?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:44 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I use AMSOil and love it but thats a carryover from my German cars where I was going 15k miles and it still felt very smooth. I am coming up on 10k for this change and it still feels smooth.

I did not notice as big a difference in my Mustang when I switched from Mobile 1 full synthetic to AMSOil as I did when I switched in my other cars.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:51 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Jim, could you post info on where you can have your oil sent off to be tested?

I send mine out to Blackstone Labs

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

They will send you the kit to collect the sample. Send it back to them and within a week you will have a report back. If you go to the website it will tell you what each of the parameters mean and what you are looking for, but they also do a write up of their analysis. Once you start using them, with each new sample they give you the update but include all of the old data on the report so you can see what is happening over time as well.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:54 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
When I purchased my car at the dealership, an incentive was free oil changes and tire rotation. With that said, I have a coupon book and take my car in every 3,000 miles to get the oil change and every other visit, they rotate the wheels. I notice that my last visit, the sticker indicated to come back 5,000 miles, instead of 3,000 miles. Has this been a change across all shops/dealerships?

All they did was move you to the Ford recommendation. The oil change places still try to get you in every 3,000 miles, but they are in the business of selling you oil and Ford is the one who has to warranty the engine. I've always figured if Ford said 5,000 miles, and they would have to pay if the engine went because I didn't change it at 3,000, then their engineers (who aren't trying to sell me oil) are probably right.

Since the dealer gave you an incentive of free oil changes, they probably figured out that they were wasting money changing you every 3,000 since they are footing the bill for it. If you were paying it out of pocket, it would probably still say 3,000 rather than 5,000.

Quick Reply: oil choice?