Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

T.B. Cleanout....

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:47 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Default T.B. Cleanout....

Never would have imagined that cleaning the throttle body would make such a difference.... but then, I've never cleaned one before... including the one on the 'stang...

Much smoother off the line.... don't know if that would be as noticable with an auto trans but with a stick shift, it's simply amazing.

Easy enough to do.... but I do have a followup question if anyone cares to expound.

I'm off so "search" it... but I have a nebulous recollection in reference to bypassing.... or eliminating the coolant lines flowing to the T.B. as basically, after 05 it was deemed un-necessary.

Considering the lengths to which some will go to keep the T.B. COOL... (spacer plates, etc.) I find it interesting that Ford would choose to actually "warm up" the T.B. Can't imagine why.... with the exception of I have actually had a couple of cars.... stovebolt Chevy's... that in fact were prone to carburetor icing in certain conditions.

Anyhow.... after 87K miles.... possibly more as the vehicle was procured used, it now has a shiny clean T.B. The "brain" is still "learning" this fact as for the first few minutes, the idle was a bit higher than before.

After my wee search... it could also have a "cool" T.B. as well.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:51 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

LOL.... Before anyone else sez it:

"SEARCH" is your friend.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...y-by-pass.html

Quite common it would seem.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Cleaning the TB is so easy and cures many an idle problem that it almost makes me sick to my stomach knowing that Ford is ripping people off when they bring their cars to the dealership for an idle problem.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:05 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

My idle increased a bit after cleaning too.

While cruising around, throttle body temperature really shouldn't matter. After data-logging some things the other day, I came to find out that the air entering the engine is within 2 degrees of the ambient temperature outside. The IAT sensor for measuring that temperature is AFTER the TB. So if a hot TB were warming the air before entering the engine, you would see this on the IAT temps, which obviously isn't the case.

I wonder when Ford will start making the throttle bodies out of hardened plastic like the intake manifold...
Old 10-14-2012, 02:41 PM
JimC

baddog - you have a 2006 so you don't have the throttle body heater set up that the 2005 cars had.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:25 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
baddog - you have a 2006 so you don't have the throttle body heater set up that the 2005 cars had.
Oh...wierd.

Either way, the air is coming in too quick to be heated much at all
Old 10-15-2012, 06:00 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Well, the T.B. heater on mine has been successfully neutralized. I did have to re-set the PCM as I was getting the infamous idle vascillations in neutral whilst rolling but I'm sure that was due to the more than dirty T.B.

As to the temperature of the air inbound with it "heated" vs. not heated.... at WOT yeah, I can't imagine it being much different than ambient as the air passes through ratether quickly... however, at lower throttle it moves slower and would have more time to pick up heat from the casting. Still.... not sure how much.

Will it make much of a difference? Well... I dunno. Considering that so many out there with 3.8's and 3.9's with cast-aluminium splitport intakes actually installedT.B. spacers in order to run cooler throttle bodies... there may be something to it.

BTW... that our manifolds are (I believe it is Viton) composite plastic.... they do not transfer engine block heat to the T.B. and that is why a T.B. spacer on our cars is utterly superfluous. The manifold IS the spacer as it quite effectively limits the transfer of heat from the block to the T.B.

The only other reason I can think of to heat the T.B. (aside from freezing? Really?) would be pursuant to emission controls.... and that, only due to recollecting the thermo-vacuum operated "trap doors" on carbureted vehicles of the 70's.... where a trap in door in the air cleaner would open on cold start... and instead of drawing air directly from under hood... it would pull air through a duct connected to a collector on the exhaust manifold.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:28 AM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

We know so little, yet we question so much.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:14 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by flyhigh@mach1
We know so little, yet we question so much.
Corollary: "There are no supid questions. However, a lot of inqisitive idiots."

:-)
Old 10-25-2012, 10:53 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The heating is not to bring the air charge
up to temp but to prevent TB icing during
cold moist months.
Imagine the TB icing open at WOT?

Quick Reply: T.B. Cleanout....