Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Long Cold Start issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:06 PM
MustangMikey04

Unhappy Long Cold Start issue

Hey guys,

I added a BBK CAI, SR TB spacer, and an SCT 91 octane tune to my 05 4.0L at 94000 miles in May of this year. I now have 100k on her. Just recently, when she's cold and I go to start her, she turns over for about double the cranks she normally used to take to start and then she kinda sputters and then starts up. I'd say 3 out of 4 times i cold start her she does this. Any Ideas on what could be the issue, you think my filter is dirty already? I cleaned the TB and MAFS when I installed the CAI and ran Sea Foam in a full tank. I changed the fuel filter at 80k and replaced plugs, wires, and ignition coil at 92k. I live in Southern California and have horses here so it can get prety dusty in the summer and fall but I'm not sure if that would clog the air filter already. Thanks in advance for any input and ideas u might have.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:28 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Could be a plethora of things, or maybe just one. First off, when I had long crank times about two winters ago, it was my OEM battery dying on me. Replaced that and the car has been fine since. Now if you have already replaced the battery recently, and you have taken care of the TB/MAF sensor, and fuel filter, then I would look at your mods next. The TB spacer is known to cause all kinds of problems on the S197, maybe try taking that off and seeing if that's the root of your troubles.

Fuel filter should be good for 40K miles usually so I doubt that's the problem. Have you had your alternator tested yet? Always start with the charging system on the S197s, it's a serious weak point.

How is your idle after the car starts? Does it wander a lot, or is the high idle pretty consistent and linear in its decrease down to regular idle on those cold mornings?

Last edited by aaquib1992; 11-08-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

First of all, remove the TB spacer. Feel free to make it useful like hanging it on the Xmas tree.

How much colder is it and are you using a different fuel than you usually do? Is the engine cranking normally before it kicks over as compared to how fast it cranked in the warmer weather? This could be a number of things and may very well be a normal response to the weather.

Second, remove the TB spacer.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:38 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
First of all, remove the TB spacer. Feel free to make it useful like hanging it on the Xmas tree.

How much colder is it and are you using a different fuel than you usually do? Is the engine cranking normally before it kicks over as compared to how fast it cranked in the warmer weather? This could be a number of things and may very well be a normal response to the weather.

Second, remove the TB spacer.
Lol, +1. I didn't want to be too blunt about it, but Nuke is right, that spacer is pretty much worthless as far as performance gains go, and it will only give you headaches down the road.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:43 PM
MustangMikey04

LMAO...so i probably bought an overpriced paper weight when I got that TB spacer then eh. It doesn't get colder than 40 degrees here in the winter and the cranking speed is the same as it usually is. The idle is nice and high throughout the warm up like it always has been and then settles down around 700-780rpm, she just cranks over about twice as many times as she has in all the years I've own her....u probably know how it should be, just a quick "crank crank crank...start". I'm going to remove the TB spacer and get back to you guys
Old 11-09-2012, 06:11 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I doubt the TB spacer is at fault but it's worth a try since you won't lose anything performance-wise. The only other immediate thoughts I have would be cleaning the TB once more and changing fuel brand. If she's running healthy otherwise, just keep it on your radar screen unless it seems to degrade.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:09 PM
MustangMikey04

Ok guys, I took the over priced Xmas ornament off. She's still cranking over 6 or seven times before she starts. Once she starts up nothing is different, she still runs fine. It just makes my car seem old when it has to crank over so many times before she starts. Any other ideas? Is there a cold start valve or sensor somewhere on her that I can check? I appreciate all your input.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

When did you put plugs in it last?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:09 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

And once you check the plugs, I would suggest you take a look at your charging system (test the battery, and alternator).
Old 11-11-2012, 07:03 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

My 05 4.0 did that same thing yesterday when it was 30deg and snowing. It didn't start on the first cranking session, so I stopped, then tried it again. I tried pushing the throttle down 3/4, the letting it up and it seemed to start better. Today, the car was still crusted with ice and was a bit slower than usual to start.

Other than giving me the feeling I could do something, with throttle-by-wire I doubt that pushing down the throttle made any difference.

I would recommend cleaning your MAF and throttle body, and checking your air filter. Make sure all your electric connections are tightly seated. With at least six months on all your under-hood equipment, cleaning and checking won't be wasted.

Quick Reply: Long Cold Start issue