Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

What to add for around $350 on a 2006 Mustang V-6, Pony?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:08 PM
JRichard

Default What to add for around $350 on a 2006 Mustang V-6, Pony?

Looking to add some performance upgrades, I have about $350 to spend. To date I added Big Max axle back exhaust, BBK CAI, and custom tune. Exterior additions include: 8" shorty antenna, Mustang lower side stripe, Blackout Panel, Blackout 3rd brake light. Any suggestions, 3.73 gears are on the radar, but will need additional cash? 70 mm TB? Any suggestions welcomed.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:00 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

shorty headers
Old 07-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Don't waste your money on shorties; little gain for the $$ and effort but better than nothing.

Don't waste your money on an aftermarket TB unless your intent is to eventually get a blower. NO gain if you're stock.

Who's tunes are you running? Going from a canned SCT tune to a custom tune from AM or Brenspeed can add about 5-10 RWHP alone.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:36 PM
Andrew Christian
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRichard
Looking to add some performance upgrades, I have about $350 to spend. To date I added Big Max axle back exhaust, BBK CAI, and custom tune. Exterior additions include: 8" shorty antenna, Mustang lower side stripe, Blackout Panel, Blackout 3rd brake light. Any suggestions, 3.73 gears are on the radar, but will need additional cash? 70 mm TB? Any suggestions welcomed.
If you have $350 to run with, be mindful of the installation costs. Gears cost $170, but it's doubtful that you're going to get them installed for $130.

For bolt on upgrades, I recommend any combination of the following:

BBK 70mm Throttle Body - $309
Upgraded Accel/Performance Distributors Coil Pack - $90-$100
Tune up: $300 depending on what you get. Sometime a nice tune up makes a difference.
Platinum/Iridium Spark Plugs: $60
Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

As others have said - what tune are you currently running? There could be more potential lying there..

Also, gears are a great option, but they're more costly than $350 after installation. I would save up for gears or give your engine a new tune up, assuming it's needed (spark plugs, fuel filter, clean air filter, etc.).

Shane
Old 07-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andrew Christian
If you have $350 to run with, be mindful of the installation costs. Gears cost $170, but it's doubtful that you're going to get them installed for $130.

What about his other $50?

For bolt on upgrades, I recommend any combination of the following:

BBK 70mm Throttle Body - $309 Useless on a non-FI or non-internally heavy modded engine
Upgraded Accel/Performance Distributors Coil Pack - $90-$100 Useless unless you're FI and even then, minor gains
Tune up: $300 depending on what you get. Sometime a nice tune up makes a difference. Who spends $300 on a tune-up and what do you really think the performance gains are?
Platinum/Iridium Spark Plugs: $60
Old 07-30-2013, 09:52 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Gears are a good idea but if you don't want to wait to save some more then I would consider a custom tune or two. How about suspension? You can swap out some parts or do something as simple as bushing upgrades.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:01 AM
Andrew Christian
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The other $50 goes to taxes and shipping. The guy has $350 to spend, so you don't tell him to spend $349.99 and expect everything else to be fine an dandy.

I don't understand why people can simply answer the guy's question. He's got $350 he wants to spend, give suggestions on how to spend it. Saving for more substantial upgrades it probably the best route, but that's not what he asked for.

Anyways, bolt ons do improve the performance of V6s even if not substantially, they greatly improve the drive feel of the car. I don't think he thinks theres a $350 bolt on he'll be able to install in an hour and shave time off his 0-60, but like most of us V6ers, we want to improve the quality of drive since we pay the same "sports car" insurance v8s do.

I suggested bolt on upgrades, he'll be able to do himself within his budget and although the TB alone isn't going to increase his horsepower, it, along with some of his other upgrades will most definitely increase the driving feel of this ride.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:43 AM
JRichard

Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming. Right now I am recovering from shoulder surgery so the Stang will sit for a while and I have time to decide what to do. May be able to save another $100 or two (3.73 gears?).

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:58 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

OP: I still haven't received an answer regarding who's tune you're running. That alone could be a decent seat-of-the-pants HP gain if you're running canned tunes and certainly more than most other bolt-ons.

+1 on the gears if you can afford then. Won't make you faster but WILL make you quicker.

Quick Reply: What to add for around $350 on a 2006 Mustang V-6, Pony?