Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

stutters for the first couple of minutes and sometimes randomly after a red light

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 03:00 AM
4.o stang
1st Gear Member

Default stutters for the first couple of minutes and sometimes randomly after a red light

I have a 05 v6 that sometimes takes a while to turn on and usually stutters for the first couple of minutes. I blew the head gaskets a while back and had coolant filled all the cylinders but we flushed it all out change the gaskets and put everything back together at the beginning it wouldn't run on its own so we put something on the pedal to keep it pressed down enough so it wouldn't turn off But it would take ridiculously long to turn on. after a while it was able to keep itself alive but then it started stuttering for the first couple of minutes and when I got on a red light long enough the check engine light starts flashing and it starts to stutter so bad the you can press the pedal all the way down and it will barely go anywhere. it usually does that for about a minute after the car gets moving again but once it's driving it'll be fine and act like nothing happened. it only does that after sitting at a red light for a while but it doesn't always do that. I took it over to autozone one day and the sensors showed all the cylinders misfiring except for like one. any idea on what It could be like could we have not put the timing chains back on correctly or could it be a bad fuel pump.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:41 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by 4.o stang
I have a 05 v6 that sometimes takes a while to turn on and usually stutters for the first couple of minutes.

I blew the head gaskets a while back and had coolant filled all the cylinders but we flushed it all out change the gaskets and put everything back together. At the beginning it wouldn't run on its own so we put something on the pedal to keep it pressed down enough so it wouldn't turn off. But it would take ridiculously long to turn on. After a while it was able to keep itself alive but then it started stuttering for the first couple of minutes.

When I get on a red light long enough the check engine light starts flashing and it starts to stutter. I can press the pedal all the way down and it will barely go anywhere. It usually does that for about a minute after the car gets moving again but once it's driving it'll be fine and act like nothing happened. it only does that after sitting at a red light for a while but it doesn't always do that.

I took it over to autozone one day and the sensors showed all the cylinders misfiring except for like one. Any idea on what it could be? Could we have not put the timing chains back on correctly or could it be a bad fuel pump.
I had to separate that out - punctuation and paragraphs make it a lot easier to read than a wall of text run on sentence!

If all the cylinders are giving a mis-fire code then you either have the wiring messed up, or you missed a step on the timing chains more than likely. It is easy to cross wire the 4.0 coil pack to the spark plugs, so check that first and make sure; might as well start with the easy fix. If they are cross wired it will give the symptoms you are getting.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:39 PM
4.o stang
1st Gear Member

yea my bad I was half asleep when I wrote that. but could it still run perfectly fine 70% of the time with wires being crossed? what really throws me off is that it just does it at random times and it usually doesn't last any longer than a minute or two at most.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:44 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

If it's sitting overnight will it start up fine w/o touching the gas pedal?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:55 PM
4.o stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by movielover40
If it's sitting overnight will it start up fine w/o touching the gas pedal?
nope pretty much always have to pedal the gas or hold it down for a while.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:05 AM
JimC

The 4.0 has a waste spark system - as a result it can run just not well with wires crossed
Old 05-20-2017, 03:30 PM
4.o stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
The 4.0 has a waste spark system - as a result it can run just not well with wires crossed
well it runs perfectly fine most of the time it's just every now and then it decides to stutter.