MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   need some advice for launching :/ (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/111088-need-some-advice-for-launching.html)

red2k1gt 04-01-2006 01:37 PM

RE: need some advice for launching :/

subframe connectors, upper/lower ca's and dr's and you wont have to worry about how bad your launches are ;)

SOHCtimes2 04-01-2006 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: yoteehunter

Time for a suspension set up.

Drag shocks or adjustables, set the front for easy release and set the back for stiffer for better wight transfer=traction

I'm sorry, setting the rear stiffer doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't you set it soft...?

yoteehunter 04-01-2006 02:29 PM

The reason you set the rear shocks stiffer is to help prevent wheel hop, the weight shift will take place because of the front end being able to come up easyer with out the sway bar and the shocks holding it down. If you purchase actual drag shocks you will notice that they are super firm in the rear and let loose very easy in the front. Adjustibles are better for daily drivers though because of selection. Drag shocks can make for a bitch of a riding car, very harsh and weird feeling compared to regular shocks.

so1o2k3 04-02-2006 03:24 PM

I know I didn't have a chance to beat any of those cars. I just did it for fun. The viper? come on dude how can you turn someone down with a Viper when HE asks YOU!

SOHCtimes2 04-02-2006 03:58 PM

ORIGINAL: yoteehunter

The reason you set the rear shocks stiffer is to help prevent wheel hop, the weight shift will take place because of the front end being able to come up easyer with out the sway bar and the shocks holding it down. If you purchase actual drag shocks you will notice that they are super firm in the rear and let loose very easy in the front. Adjustibles are better for daily drivers though because of selection. Drag shocks can make for a bitch of a riding car, very harsh and weird feeling compared to regular shocks.
Lol, I never realized that before. Thanks for the info.:)

ZW99GT 04-02-2006 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: gotboost

well first of all you need traction. There's your problem with you launches w. 4.10's there is no point in practicing, its useless. Get some upper and lower control arms. Second you definitly need better rubber in the back. With that right there you will have no problem, but i dunno about with the viper.
Thats not true. Practice is never useless. If you know what you are doing, 4.10's on the street shoudnt be that big of a problem.

so1o2k3 04-02-2006 09:46 PM

With adjustable shocks, is it a pain in the a$s to change the sensitivity of it?

I practiced launching after work just now in the empty parking lot. Seems like it'll spin no matter what I do unless I just take off normally and then get on it after I get going. I revved it to 2500 and dropped the clutch and I still spun out pretty easily, not to mention once I breakem loose I'm done I just keep spinning out unless I let off.

yoteehunter 04-03-2006 10:22 AM

sweet!.......now we all need some money! LOL

DaMach04 04-03-2006 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: HaV

I can usualy launch pretty good on the street.. I suck at the track though.. thats a whole 'nother ballgame.

It takes practice. Figure out your slip point. THe RPM where when you slip the clutch out you get juuuuuust a little slide from the tires before they grab and you take off. Its different in every car.. and on different surfaces. THats all you can really do.. practice untill you find that spot for on the street with the tires you have on the car. Find an empty parking lot in the middle of nowhere and just launch. and launch. and launch. untill you get it.

im the exact opposite, i cant launch on the street for sh!t, but i can get it to hook up pretty good at the track...

my advice is just practice. Just got to learn where the sweet spot is. Im still trying to find my "perfect" launch...Im getting close tho....

yoteehunter 04-03-2006 01:30 PM

Most adjustable shocks are pretty easy to change settings, some have nobs to just turn for different settings, while others have the shock housing than you turn to adjust it. They are all fairly simple, you may have to kinda crawl under the car or around a tire to get to the nob, but its fairly quik. The worst ones I saw had the kind that you turn the housing for adjustibility, then the goober used them coil over style.......not smart. But he could still adjust them. no biggy.