4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

squeaky back

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Default squeaky back

The back of my car makes some noises when going over bumps, it sounds like a squeak, but its not that high pitched. I have no idea when the back shocks/quads have been replaced so I guess it could be those. Any ideas?
Old 04-01-2006, 08:32 PM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: squeaky back

Mine does this too when I go over a speed bump or sometimes making a turn. Hope someone can chime in on this because I would like to know as well.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:39 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

I had the same issue. Turned out to be my e-brake clips. Put some grease on them and the squeak was gone.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:41 PM
LazrRd00GT
2nd Gear Member

it sounds like the shocks, try pushing on one of the corners of the car and if it bounces up and down more than 2-3 times before stopping than it is the shocks, replace them. I have a similar problem when holding the brakes and drifting forward slowly but thats it, i used to have the same issue but i replaced the shocks/struts and springs and have had no problems since. Oh and Naples... in your mods list you said "2 cats instead of 4" Mustangs dont have "4" cats, they only have 2, there are 2 resonators behind the cats, and all that the resonators do is help produce a better exhaust note.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sprostang

I had the same issue. Turned out to be my e-brake clips. Put some grease on them and the squeak was gone.
Where is that?
Old 04-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LazrRd00GT

it sounds like the shocks, try pushing on one of the corners of the car and if it bounces up and down more than 2-3 times before stopping than it is the shocks, replace them. I have a similar problem when holding the brakes and drifting forward slowly but thats it, i used to have the same issue but i replaced the shocks/struts and springs and have had no problems since. Oh and Naples... in your mods list you said "2 cats instead of 4" Mustangs dont have "4" cats, they only have 2, there are 2 resonators behind the cats, and all that the resonators do is help produce a better exhaust note.
Tried it, and 1 bounce - but I hear that squeak
Old 04-01-2006, 09:33 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Smooth_J

Where is that?
Look right in front of the rear wheels. You will see a cable on each side going to your rear brakes. Lube the clips you see that holds those cables to the frame. Hopefully that works.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:12 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Besides the brake clips, if you have after market control arms, you may need to grease them. I'm told that they raise hell when dry.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Look right in front of the rear wheels. You will see a cable on each side going to your rear brakes. Lube the clips you see that holds those cables to the frame. Hopefully that works.
What is a good lube to use?
Old 04-01-2006, 10:36 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Smooth_J

What is a good lube to use?
Any kind of grease will be fine. I have a tube of mobil 1 in my grease gun and thats what I used.

Quick Reply: squeaky back