4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

automatic shift kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 01:23 PM
kontroldkhaos
2nd Gear Member

Default automatic shift kits

where can i find these? anylinks out there i've looked and not to sure what im looking for.i've had several people say i need to put a shift kit in my stang,whats the prices of these and what else should go with them?
Old 04-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Master
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: automatic shift kits

get the Predator Tuner, it will do that + so much more
Old 04-12-2006, 01:43 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

No, go with the shift, it makes an amazing difference, a tuner does good, but it has no comparison to a shift kit. A tuner just adjusts the shift points, a shiftkit will make it shift on command when you want it to. Transgo is the best and make sure you do an intercooler too, you won't regret it!
Old 04-12-2006, 01:51 PM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Master
get the Predator Tuner, it will do that + so much more

^^^ This is a good place to start, get the tuner with a set of gears from mustangtunning or rpm outlet. Use that to make trans adjustments and see how you like it. For me it was not enough so I installed a Trans-go shift kit along with a trans cooler. If you get a shift kit I highly suggest (and wound not get the kit without it) you install a nice big trans cooler (the bigger the better). You can go on trans-go's website and try to find a place near you that sells the kits and order it from them; or you can figure out what kit you need for your car and fine it on E-bay.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Try this site, they have a very good reputation:

http://www.baumannengineering.com/aodecat.htm

Good luck!
Old 04-12-2006, 03:02 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

Ebay has the transgo kits for less than a hundred. Ive got mine on order. Should make the auto actually shift instead of "float" into gear
Old 04-12-2006, 03:05 PM
kontroldkhaos
2nd Gear Member

theres alot to soak in.im not really sure of what to look for ,as i've said before this car stuff is new to me,,i never really cared to do anything to a car,i drove a probe for years..sorry dont laugh ,, but since i got a real car with a some *****,im wanting to learn all i can,and you guys at this forum is a bad influence,lmao in a good way, i have all these ideas with mods and have no idea where to begin, but was told a shift kit is a good start,how true this is i don't know
Old 04-12-2006, 03:08 PM
kontroldkhaos
2nd Gear Member

and what does a shift kit even look like?are the hard to install?
Old 04-12-2006, 03:15 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

you can find some info on how to install a shift kit- try google- good pics also. Some people can do it, others cant. I guess you have to drill into the throttle body and Im just going to have mine installed by the shop thats putting in new gears.

As long as your modding a bit, definately put in some different gears. Will really wake it up without touching the motor. Gears and shift kit or tuner would make it seem like a whole new ride. As for what gears you ask? Dont bother asking. just use the search button and all your answers are there- as well as the stickies. Good luck
Old 04-12-2006, 03:18 PM
mself52
3rd Gear Member

you will prolly not want to install a shift kit yourself its not easy, its new harder springs that go into the transmission that make the clutchs slam together harder causing less slipe between them thus makin firmer shifts and transferring more power.... in my v6 auto i had a shift kit put in and i LOVEDDDDDDDDD it my car would spin 1st chirp both 2nd and 3rd gear it hit so hard...but you have to change the springs and things and also drill one of the walls out in the transmission.... so definetly take it to a shop (might be differnt for v8)

Quick Reply: automatic shift kits