4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MAGNAFLOW QUESTION?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

Default MAGNAFLOW QUESTION?

I have the magnaflow magnapack catback on my car right now. I'm wondering if you can just swap out the mufflers and put somthing else in? like a chambered Magnaflow muffler or a different chambered muffler?
Old 04-28-2006, 03:52 PM
krm486
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: MAGNAFLOW QUESTION?

Dont know about that, but why do you want to switch them?
Old 04-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

just bored i guess haha, trying somthing different
Old 04-28-2006, 03:54 PM
karmstrong_2
2nd Gear Member

Sure you can take them out, might take a little cutting and welding. Don't neccesarily know that they'd just slip right in and bolt up, but they could certainly be switched.

I see you have the Bassani X with your setup...how does it sound cause I'm thinking of going with a Bassani X and I have a Magnaflow Catback?
Old 04-28-2006, 03:54 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Im pretty sure you can't. Its not like the SLP technology where they use clamps so that you can easily swap mufflers, SLP is the only brand that has really done that so far.

Of course it can be done, Im just saying its not going to be easy. Im pretty sure you would have to cut the mufflers out and then weld new ones in... Its not going to be simple like clamping new ones in. Length then becomes a big issue too.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

they would just unclamp off, wouldn't be a problem, i'm just wondering if you can slap a different muffler in there and bolt it right back into place
Old 04-28-2006, 04:14 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

I didn't know that the magnaflow catback system came with clamps for the mufflers? I thought it was pre-welded.

If your mufflers are clamped into place, then sure you can unclamp them and swap another muffler in. However, I was almost positive the magnaflow catback system mufflers were already welded, therefore you would need to cut them out and weld new ones in which would pose a problem.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:18 PM
blk40th
4th Gear Member

I HAVE THE SAME SYSTEM AND I THINK AS LONG AS ALL THE MEASUREMENTS OF THE MUFFLER ARE THE SAME THEN IT SHOULD WORK BECAUSE THEY SHOULD BE BENT THE SAME WAY. WHAT TYPE OF MUFFLERS WERE YOU GOING TO GO WITH. I HAVE AN O/R H-PIPE AND MAGNAPACS NO TAILPIPES. I WAS THINKING ABOUT CHANGING THE MUFFLERS TOO, TO GET IT A LITTLE LOUDER/ DIFFERENT TONE. HOW DID THE SCT WORK ON YOUR CAR?
Old 04-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

The Magnaflow system is all clamped/bolted together. Um, a several different cat-backs are the same way, I think even Flowmaster does it, Mac too.

As long as the offsets are the same and the muffler length is the same, it will bolt right in, otherwise it might take a little welding.

With a Mid-pipe & Catback, going with a larger diameter or a longer exhaust tip will make a noticable difference in sound, you'd be surprised.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

I got my Tune & SCT Xcal2 from brenspeed.com... Told him everything thats on my car. I'm running the 93 octane tune now and wow, what a difference. AFter i put my bassani catless x-pipe on and magnapacks, i lost power down low... The tune has totally compensated for the loss, with huge power & torque throughout the powerband now. I love it. I was just reading this thread...

https://mustangforums.com/m_1286899/tm.htm

Compairing the 2 best tuners on here, Brenspeed & Evolution performance... They say the Evolution performance tune made more Dyno gains, but that was for an automatic car. And they havent tested 1/4 times yet. But either one you go with, your going to get a great tune. I love mine, but now that thread has got me thinking i could get more power with a different tune...

Quick Reply: MAGNAFLOW QUESTION?