4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

pulling harmonic balancer off

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 03:27 PM
rw98
2nd Gear Member

Default pulling harmonic balancer off

hey, anyone know how i can remove my harmonic pulley, i can't figure out how to stop the crank from rotating while trying to loosen the bolt. i have a 98 gt w/aode please help before i break something. thanks
Old 05-05-2006, 03:33 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Default RE: pulling harmonic balancer off

leave the belt on to keep it from spinning
Old 05-05-2006, 03:38 PM
d3mon
3rd Gear Member

go to auto zone and get a pulley puller, and is better if you get an impact wrench
Old 05-05-2006, 03:44 PM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

if you look back towards your transmission i believe that there should be some sort of hole assuming its an automatic by the tourque converter that you can pit a flathead screwdriver in. if you have a 5 speed, just leave it in gear. thats what it says in the steeda directions
Old 05-05-2006, 11:45 PM
rw98
2nd Gear Member

hey, guys thanks for you advice but the easyest way to get this done alone is to get a breaker bar & to place one end on the bolt and the other end rest on the ground (to loosen the bolt without the crank rotating in the block)tap the key in the ignition(do not start the engine). caution you must know which way the crank is rotating before you try this. the power of the motor loosens the bolt righ up. no problems at all.. just in case anyone needs to know for referense..
Old 05-06-2006, 02:06 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rw98

hey, guys thanks for you advice but the easyest way to get this done alone is to get a breaker bar & to place one end on the bolt and the other end rest on the ground (to loosen the bolt without the crank rotating in the block)tap the key in the ignition(do not start the engine). caution you must know which way the crank is rotating before you try this. the power of the motor loosens the bolt righ up. no problems at all.. just in case anyone needs to know for referense..
Wow this has absolutly got to be the WORST idea I have ever seen anyone post as "advice".

Do NOT do this. You are simply asking to destroy something or get seriously injured.

Put the car in gear (with it off for christ sake) and use a breaker bar to get it off. If you ahve to, use a impact wrench.

Once again that is a TERRIBLE idea.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:20 AM
96cobra10101
3rd Gear Member

If you do this , have someone video it and post it. You'll be more famous than Kimbo or the Numa Numa kid, but make sure you get money for a new engine.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:05 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/pull1.htm
Old 05-06-2006, 12:08 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Wow this has absolutly got to be the WORST idea I have ever seen anyone post as "advice".

Do NOT do this. You are simply asking to destroy something or get seriously injured.

Put the car in gear (with it off for christ sake) and use a breaker bar to get it off. If you ahve to, use a impact wrench.

Once again that is a TERRIBLE idea.
+1. Leave it in gear and not 1st. I'd say 3rd or 4th would be best, and set the hand brake.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:24 PM
2000STANGGT
2nd Gear Member

A impact or I just put a wrench on it and tapped the wrench with a hammer. Then get a harmonic puller.

Quick Reply: pulling harmonic balancer off