4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine knock....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 12:36 AM
The_Herf

Default Engine knock....

I have a '03 GT. When I turn on my engine on a hot day (it's always hot in augusta, GA) for the first time, I get this violent knocking noise coming from the engine compartment. It is definitely metal-metal contact. After the first couple times of driving turning off, starting turning of and starting again, the initial know quiets, but when Im driving I can still here the knock whenI pass a tall curb or a narrow street with buildings on either side.

I recently took my car to get the oil changed and put in a synthetic (no time to do the work myself these days) and that didn't help. I took the car to a place I trust and the mechanic told me to put in some "Mystery Oil" you can buy at a parts store.

I guess my question's are: Is this really bad news? Can it be fixed? Have others experienced this knocking before? Any guesses as to what it could be?

If you need more info, please feel free to ask so I can help u elp me :P

Mike
Old 06-05-2006, 12:45 AM
firstonraceday96
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine knock....

IF your cars stock then I kinda guess that eliminates detonation...but with no oil u cud of spun a rod bearing or sumthin. What ever it is if its in the rotating assembly then ur prolly fuked. Id say if u can stop driving it ASAP and start takin **** a part. Ive been through this many times I used to own a DSM.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:02 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Dude, that does not sound like normal knock (detonation). Based on your description, something in your short block has let go. Stop driving and either tear into it or pay someone to at least properly diagnose the problem.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:13 AM
white04gt
3rd Gear Member

Warranty..... Take it to ford ASAP.... And DEMAND a loaner...
Old 06-05-2006, 01:19 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: white04gt

Hope he's not past the 3yr/36k marker.

white04gt, why not finish the exhaust (headers) before the tb/plenum? Those stock manifolds are still restrictive as hell. I'm not bashing, bro, just wondering. I'm planning for the tb/plenum after I get around to the headers.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:32 AM
white04gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

ORIGINAL: white04gt

Hope he's not past the 3yr/36k marker.

white04gt, why not finish the exhaust (headers) before the tb/plenum? Those stock manifolds are still restrictive as hell. I'm not bashing, bro, just wondering. I'm planning for the tb/plenum after I get around to the headers.
If anything I'll go with shorty headers, but that's a ways down the list. Long tubes just cost too much at the moment.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:44 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

OK, back to the subject at hand. Dude go buy a oil drain pan (the black one with the little drain hole on top). Make sure it is clean and dry. Drain your oil from your engine. Plug the hole back up on the drain pan and take the pan out into the sun and look for metallic particles glittering in the oil in the pan. That might give you a clue that something is amiss in your engine.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:02 PM
The_Herf

ok if i were to take it to ford, would i have to take off my aftermarket CAI and TB and put on tehe original parts for ford to observe my warranty?

THanks for input thus far.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:07 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: The_Herf

ok if i were to take it to ford, would i have to take off my aftermarket CAI and TB and put on tehe original parts for ford to observe my warranty?

THanks for input thus far.
I would. Just to be safe. Even though those parts dont have anything to do with your problem.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:05 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Technically, no, your mods are not a problem and they cannot void your warranty. However, they can simply refuse to look at the car and avoid the problem all together. Call the service department and explain your issue and ask them if they are friendly to your mods. DON'T tell them who you are. I would not give any more info than necessary.

Quick Reply: Engine knock....