4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ok so I broke a bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 12:09 AM
itlnrob
2nd Gear Member

Default Ok so I broke a bolt

I was just tightening the bolts down on my ported plenum that I just installed and I broke one of the bolts directly behind the plenum closest to the firewall of the engine bay. Probaly about half inch broke off into it, and half inch came completely out. What do I do?
Old 06-08-2006, 12:12 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Ok so I broke a bolt

Wow, I thought I was the only one. That exact same thing happened to me, I used a gasket sealent to patch up the upc valve or whatever it was, it works great. But if you don't like that idea, you'll have to get it retaped and drilled..
Old 06-08-2006, 12:13 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: itlnrob

I was just tightening the bolts down on my ported plenum that I just installed and I broke one of the bolts directly behind the plenum closest to the firewall of the engine bay. Probaly about half inch broke off into it, and half inch came completely out. What do I do?
damm you are tightening them TOO much. It doesn't have to be that tight, your gonna fuxor your plastic intake manifold.

Can you get on the bolt with a plier or preferably a vise grip? be careful and don't snap it off but try to back it out.

Sounds like you might have cross threaded the hole though. Did it go in tough the entire way???
Old 06-08-2006, 12:16 AM
itlnrob
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: itlnrob

damm you are tightening them TOO much. It doesn't have to be that tight, your gonna fuxor your plastic intake manifold.

Can you get on the bolt with a plier or preferably a vise grip? be careful and don't snap it off but try to back it out.

Sounds like you might have cross threaded the hole though. Did it go in tough the entire way???

Well thats the thing it was going in fairly easy, never gave me a hard tug, then all of a sudden the bolt came off in my socket. What do you mean plier or vise grip? I have the top of the bolt, just the bottem is missing. I don't get it, please let me know if there is a way. If not I guess I will just leave it as is.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:21 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

is it one of the bolts holding the plenum down into the intake manifold??

Can you take off whatever the bolt is holding down, and then have some bolt stickingout of the threaded part? Or is it broken off flush??

If it is flush, try using a small screwdriver to back the bolt out. AKA, put the tip of your screwdriver (just one tip of the flat head) on the outside of the bolt and attempt to turn it counter clockwise. You may have to stick at this for awhile. I have seen plenty of broken off bolts come out this way if they are not jammed into the hole or cross threaded.

If you cannot do that, the only other option I know of is to use a easy out. This means you will need a easy out kit, and you will use a reverse drillbit to drill a hole into the bolt. This can be pretty tough if its a small bolt. After you drill the hole you use a easy out to grip the sides of the hole and turn the bolt out.

BTW, it almost sounds like you used the wrong bolt? Are you sure you used the correct length one?
Old 06-08-2006, 12:21 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

I wasn't tightening the bolt too much, I was just tightening it up softly and snap!!! I guess every bolt isn't "built ford tough".
Old 06-08-2006, 12:28 AM
VARifleman
3rd Gear Member

Or, they could have put 8 hardness bolts and it broke because it is brittle...just and idea, I don't know. As long as the female threads are still ok, just get the broken bolt out and replace it?
Old 06-08-2006, 12:33 AM
itlnrob
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

is it one of the bolts holding the plenum down into the intake manifold??

Can you take off whatever the bolt is holding down, and then have some bolt stickingout of the threaded part? Or is it broken off flush??

If it is flush, try using a small screwdriver to back the bolt out. AKA, put the tip of your screwdriver (just one tip of the flat head) on the outside of the bolt and attempt to turn it counter clockwise. You may have to stick at this for awhile. I have seen plenty of broken off bolts come out this way if they are not jammed into the hole or cross threaded.

If you cannot do that, the only other option I know of is to use a easy out. This means you will need a easy out kit, and you will use a reverse drillbit to drill a hole into the bolt. This can be pretty tough if its a small bolt. After you drill the hole you use a easy out to grip the sides of the hole and turn the bolt out.

BTW, it almost sounds like you used the wrong bolt? Are you sure you used the correct length one?
Positive i didn't use the wrong bolt, and yes its the bolt that holds the plenum down to the intake manifold. THat screw driver trick you were saying, How can I turn it if it doesn't have a place for the screw drive, I'm a lil confused about that.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:52 AM
rjgstang
3rd Gear Member

if you can take off the other bolts and remove the plenum, maybe there will be part of broken bolt showing, if so take vise grips, clamp down good on the broke piece and remove.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:54 AM
VARifleman
3rd Gear Member

Or use an ez-out...

Quick Reply: Ok so I broke a bolt