4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Headers

Old 06-03-2003, 06:15 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Default Headers

Okay everyone, I need some advice on a set of headers for my Stang. It's an '02 GT. I've already picked up my Bassani X-pipe, and I am ordering a Magnaflow Cat-back this week, so now it's time to decide on what kind of headers I'm going to run. How are Hookers, or BBK? What are some of the other recommended headers for my car & exhaust application. Also, how much of a pain in the @$$ is it to install? Thanks!
Old 06-04-2003, 01:24 PM
gtmustangmiguel
1st Gear Member

Default Headers

Hello, GSXR we're going to be talking a lot b/c I also have an 02 GT, 4.6L 2V mustang and have begun to do some major mods to it..Ok being that you already bought the Bassani X-pipe, I hear that the JBA shorty headers are really effective and easiest to install, and work really well when matched to the Bassani X-Pipe. If you want a long-tube headers set-up, Hooker Headers Ceramic Coated are the best! Unfortunately, the bassani x-pipe will have to welded to these hooker headers, not bolted in. Now long-tube headers are better than shorty headers, but the combo of JBA and bassani would be a bolt-on project and has been known to perform great.

I bought the ceramic coated Hooker Headers and it's matching X-pipe and will install this weekend. If you're curious, I'm going to buy a Borla Catback and am still deciding if I should go rear exhaust or side exhaust...When i purchase the Borla I would have an exhaust system costing around 1800, with headers and c-pipe included...i also have to buy heads soon, but that's in the back of my mind for now..Let me know what you decide..
Old 06-04-2003, 10:27 PM
fast4rds1
1st Gear Member

Default Headers

A buddy of mine told me that BBK headers are designed specificly for Ford exaust ports, and that on any given mustang, theyre worth about 3 to 5 more hp than most other headers. Just a thought.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:50 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Default Headers

I appreciate the insight on the headers. I have to say that welding instead of bolting together is not really significant to me, because I am not planning on doing any removing afterwards. Now for some more questions.</P>

1. Why do long tube headers work better than short ones? It's the other way around I'm told w/Z28's and T/A's.</P>

2. What about MAC long tube headers?</P>

3. How much horsepower/torque am I looking at with this modification alone?</P>

4. Would someone be so kind as to rate these bases on quality, price,and bang for buck value: BBK, JBA, Mac, and Hooker. Thanks again. I need some more infor on Hooker if you can get me a link MustangMiguel.</P>
Old 06-08-2003, 05:52 PM
MustangGTRocks
2nd Gear Member

Default Headers

I like BBK my self..
Old 06-17-2003, 03:50 AM
short_dustin

Default Headers

I have BBK full length headers on my '01 2V 4.6 and they were a pain to put in in involves pulling the engine at least part-way out but I think they were worth it. The bolts they send aren't worth a $h!t but go to a hardware store buy new ones and USE COPPER GASKETS! they last 10x longer. But the BBK put a very deep tone to my stang. And O2 extensions are needed as well as a shorty X-pipe.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:26 PM
02StangGuy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Headers

if i got bbk shorty headers would they bolt right on or would i need to buy other parts
Old 10-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: GSXRIntensity

&lt;P&gt;I appreciate the insight on the headers. I have to say that welding instead of bolting together is not really significant to me, because I am not planning on doing any removing afterwards. Now for some more questions.&lt;/P&gt;
&lt;P&gt;1. Why do long tube headers work better than short ones? It's the other way around I'm told w/Z28's and T/A's.&lt;/P&gt;
&lt;P&gt;2. What about MAC long tube headers?&lt;/P&gt;
&lt;P&gt;3. How much horsepower/torque am I looking at with this modification alone?&lt;/P&gt;
&lt;P&gt;4. Would someone be so kind as to rate these bases on quality, price, and bang for buck value: BBK, JBA, Mac, and Hooker. Thanks again. I need some more infor on Hooker if you can get me a link MustangMiguel.&lt;/P&gt;
so what happens if you go with a stall converter or change the clutch? (Depending on whether you are auto or manual)

1)Long tube allow the velocity of your exhaust gases to not be interrupted and since headers are way thicker than the exhuast pipe walls, heat is better retained in the headers for more efficient scavanging. In other words better flow and scavanging characteristics = more power
2) MAC is also good for long tubes... (I would not recommend their shorties though)
3) On a stock GT with no other modes probably 15-20 hp at the flywheel. Some will argue it will be more but I'd like to see a dyno sheet to prove that otherwise
4)no experience so no help there.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:33 PM
03 GT
2nd Gear Member

Dont even bother with Shorty's.. You gain about 3 RWHP. If thats worth the $300 for headers and the PITA install... go for it..
Old 10-16-2006, 06:54 PM
BoBalls08
2nd Gear Member

since you already got the x-pipe, did you get a full length x-pipe or a short one? if you got a short one i think that's the only way you can have long tubes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers