4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

start up problem

Old 06-25-2006, 11:13 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Default start up problem

So i get in and turn the key , the engine turns over once or twice and dies. SOo i turn the key and fire it up and it sputters for about 2 or 3 seconds pretty bad and shakey. Then i gas it some and it seems fine. Ive noticed at stop lights the idle gets low and my car shakes a little bit. I cant idle up the steep hill in town now either (auto) alsoo i was going down the road at about 55mph and its like a tugging on the car is occuring, like iam tapping on the break very very slightly.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:25 PM
luckymckay21
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: start up problem

I have been having problems too. When i start my car with the AC on, the car dies as soon as the compressor kicks on. If i rev it up for a couple of seconds the car will idle fine with the air on. Why, i have no idea except maybe the IAC is dirty, or not enough fuel is being pushed into the engine. Or maybe because of the extreme heat. Hope you figure out what is going on.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:38 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

how do i clean my IAC
Old 06-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Sounds common to me... turn your key on, then wait a second before you turn it over to start. This helps with mine, it may be that it needs time to build fuel pressure or something. My car also jerks a little in 3rd or 4th if i am barely in the gas.. I have no idea what this is, Most people around where i live with mustangs have noticed similar problems, we all call it bull hunchin haha..

This all is just part of owning a mustang, if you want something that doesn't make a new noise, pop, or feel everytime u drive it, get a toyota, haha.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:05 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: apc fo life

Sounds common to me... turn your key on, then wait a second before you turn it over to start. This helps with mine, it may be that it needs time to build fuel pressure or something. My car also jerks a little in 3rd or 4th if i am barely in the gas.. I have no idea what this is, Most people around where i live with mustangs have noticed similar problems, we all call it bull hunchin haha..

This all is just part of owning a mustang, if you want something that doesn't make a new noise, pop, or feel everytime u drive it, get a toyota, haha.
i do the bull hunchin when im in first goin slow or slowing down. so i just push the clutch in and it fixes it.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:09 PM
cobrapony27
1st Gear Member

sounds like the fuel filter is clogged to me. if you have to turn the key on and let the pressure build up. try replacing it.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:13 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Clean your IAC. It will fix it. All you need is a 8mm socket as some carb cleaner from advanced auto parts. A few Q-tips would help also.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:48 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

is my IAC inside the MAF tube?
Old 06-26-2006, 05:53 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

Old 06-26-2006, 05:53 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SXGT

is my IAC inside the MAF tube?
No, the MAF is in the MAF tube

The IAC resides on the side of your plenum. I don't have a picture at the moment... but out of the two hoses that connect to your air intake, follow the bottom one (closest to the front of the engine), through a little black box, to the IAC which is on the side of the plenum.

Edit: Someone beat me to it with a picture

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: start up problem