4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

synthetic oil in tranny, engine and rear end, what kind and what wight ?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 01:43 PM
GT99GT
2nd Gear Member

Default synthetic oil in tranny, engine and rear end, what kind and what wight ?????

i need to figure out what brand of oil to use in my engine, my tranny and my rear end. i also need to figure out if im going to use synthetic in only my engine, or if i should dump it in my tranny and rear end as well.

ive heard that when u put it in the tranny it makes the inside of the car smell so im not sure if i should use synthetic in the tranny.... let me know what u guys think

rear end i heard that synthetic oil moves around to much so when you turn sharply etc... all the oil goes to one side leaving one half of the rear end not very oiled..... so i dont knwo if regular or synthetic would be the way to go w/ the rear end

now any suggestions on what brand of synthetic or regular oil to use, what weights i need for each part and if i should use synth or reg in the tranny and rear end would be a GREAT help and i want to thank you all in advanced for helpin me out, im goin to buy all the oil and stuff today so thanks again
Old 05-05-2004, 03:51 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: synthetic oil in tranny, engine and rear end, what kind and what wight ?????

Go full synthetic all the way...generally the more expensive it is, the better. I have no problems with any smell in the car and the tranny does not need any warm up time in cold weather. Rear end is the same, the synthetic is BETTER than the dino. I'm not going to bother to explain all the technical data and details. The rear end has way too much fluid in it for there to be any problems with it sloshing to one side...doesn't make any difference anyway...gears are round - rear end is round. Theoretically, it could be on it's side and still receive the same amount of lubrication. How long are you in a high G turn anyway?

The basic deal is that the synthetic is affected minimally by heat or cold and always acts the same...dino is thick and sludgy when it's cold and too thin when it's real hot. Syn also lasts alot longer.

On the upside, it is also possible to gain a few RWHP when you switch to full syn all the way back, because it reduces friction, meaning less HP is lost to the drivetrain.

I have only syn in my car and when I made the switch, I think it all felt a tad smoother.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:03 PM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: synthetic oil in tranny, engine and rear end, what kind and what wight ?????

Same weights as factory, and I'm a personal fan of Mobil 1 synthetic lubes.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

LOL, where do you hear such crazy rumors as synthetic tranny fluid will make your interior smell?
Old 05-05-2004, 06:32 PM
Deleted User
I ♥ Acer

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

HAHA, that's the only way it would stink up your interior too!!
Old 05-05-2004, 09:32 PM
GT99GT
2nd Gear Member

dude, just goin on what i heard, i heard that it smells a little like gasoline because it goes up and through the tranny and into the car... i guess the guy was wrong... oh well

now the qesution is... what brand should i go with... i debating mobile 1 or royal purple ... any other better brands please let me know. also do mobile 1 and royal purple make synthetic oils for the engine, the tranny and rear end?
Old 05-05-2004, 10:05 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

redline and amsoil are great for all...I would just go mobil 1 for the engine oil if you like mobil
Old 05-06-2004, 01:22 AM
GT99GT
2nd Gear Member

ok im thinking about going w/ royal purple... does royal purple make engine, tranny and rear end oil though? and also is royal purple supposed to be a pretty good oil? ALSO... i was looking into oils and i saw this BG MOA .... have u guys heard of that, whats the deal with that
Old 05-06-2004, 01:26 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: GT99GT

dude, just goin on what i heard, i heard that it smells a little like gasoline because it goes up and through the tranny and into the car...
Nobody is ragging on you man, I just laughed because it's obsurd for anyone tosay that, they must be brain damaged. Don't believe the totally odd stuff you hear like that.

Quick Reply: synthetic oil in tranny, engine and rear end, what kind and what wight ?????