4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

EXPLAIN SCT FLASH TUNER PLEASE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 12:54 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default EXPLAIN SCT FLASH TUNER PLEASE?

I am probably going for the rpmoutlet combo of the tuner and 4.10 gearset with ring and pinion install kit. I have read all about Motive gears and there is no consensus as to whether they are good or poorly installed and even Brenspeed.com sells them. So I will take the chance with them.
Now, I do not understand the tuner's operation. I have a '99 Convertible with the only mod being a BBK CAI. I will of course have the 4.10's. Will rpmoutlet take this info and load a tune they think is safe for the mods I have yet add power through more timing( I believe the base is 10* and 14* is posible) and possibly a slightly leaner AFR and maybe have the timing retard 1* AT 3000RPM'S AND THEN 1* FOR EVERY EXTRA 1000RPM'S? Get the tranny shifting with more pressure? What parameters will I be able to change? I want the best increase without being able to ruin the motor with a bad choice on my part. Just guessed with what I typed here. Can anyone give a close estimate as to what they would do for a tune considering the limited mods? Do I just get 1 tune as it says up to 3 tunes so I would imagine I would pay extra for Extra tunes? Thanks for helping a new guy! mark
PS: I expect to have to use 93 octane or higher.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:30 AM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: EXPLAIN SCT FLASH TUNER PLEASE?

Well yes they are going to take your current mods and creat a tune based on what you have installed as to how your engine will perform its best with those set mods. Since you only have a CAI, it wont change too great from just a regular new custom tune.

Say without you CAI, they can create you a custom tune based on just a tune better than what Ford loads it with. The stock programming is just made to be super safe and to make sure they stay within all regulations and such. Back to your mod, since you have a CAI, they can tune it so that your engine takes advantage of higher flowing air which will allow the programmer(RPMOutlet) to play more with your air-to-fuel ratio. They also will advance your timing as you've said.

I'm not sure if you have an automatic, but only autos take advantage of the remapping of shift points since in a manual the driver controls when the tranny shifts, not the computer. So if you have an auto, then yes they will tune it to firm up the shift points. You will be allowed to play with the **** points, usually for example like -3/+7mph at WOT in first gear, etc for the rest of your gears.

So you will be able to adjust numerous things but I'd stick to their tune as much as possible until you get more mods or bring it to a local tuner to let him check the tune and see what could be tweaked further. Also yes the tuner(assuming you're getting either the SCT Xcal2 or Diablo Predator) can hold up to 4 custom tunes. Its usually like 25 bux for every extra tune.

Lastly, you must specify to them what kind of gas you will be running. I suggest you run nothing but premium 93 octane. If you have them tune for 93 octane, they will be able to tweak the tune and push more hp and torque out of the tune. Running 87 and running 93 makes a huge difference in a custom tune, I've witnessed it myself with my own 2003 GT and my friends 2000 GT.

I tried not to make it sound too confusing lol hopes this helps.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:57 AM
stangc83
3rd Gear Member

which is better sct or diablo. I was looking at those today. It seems that the diablo can do a LOT more then the SCT.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:19 AM
GTowner4life
3rd Gear Member

Some guy at the track with a pro charged mach 1 said his diablo was a POS and that all the numbers were off. So if you wanted +3 something you would have to enter +4 or +5.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:26 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Thanks for clearing things up. My research shows that the SCT is the better of the 2 in this deal.
Time to order! Mark
Old 07-26-2006, 12:55 AM
robvig

I would NOT go with SCT for a tuner I have had nothing but problems with the tune & trying to get help is not easy.If you are getting it get from a tuner who knows it real good.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:00 AM
Boltt
3rd Gear Member

I've got the SCT and i've actually had no problems at all, quite the opposite really. It works well with my wide-*** tires and gearing, and i can adjust air/fuel and spark, which is cool to have. After the entire tune you could notice an obvious difference, i was surprised. And if you dont like it, you can switch it back to Stock and start over. It saves your custom tune so you can go back and make alterations to your custom settings. It has a computer port that i've yet to use, and TBH i dont even know how that works, but it's there so it must be good for something right?